[3830] TBDC N4NW Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n4nw@n4nw.org
Subject: [3830] TBDC N4NW Single Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2012 15:42:51 -0800
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: N4NW
Operator(s): N4NW
Station: N4NW

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: FM18
Operating Time (hrs): 10.5

Total:  QSOs = 357  Total Score = 1,029

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

This was my first Stew Perry 160m contest. My biggest grip was US stations
calling CQ and working non-DX in the DX window. The proliferation of lids was
on display by this lack of perception to DX.

I used a recently re-installed  (to stay within the KE3X plaque requirement -
this removed less than six feet from the original vertical length!) 70'
vertical with tee-top base loaded with a Collins 180T coupler enclosed in a
RubberMaid 20gal tote. The antenna worked well on transmit and if I could hear
a station I worked them. The main issue is the the IF.

Although I had installed two 600+ft beverages facing NE & SE last month, I was
disappointed in their performance. Strong signals came in fine on the beverages
- the NE one seemed better. However at times, it was like the antenna was
shorted and I could hear no stations on it, other times it performed as I would
expect a beverage to perform. Noise, would go from bad to really bad to worse
when receiving with the vertical but this was the only antenna that I could
consistently hear stations on.

Best DX Grid from FM-18 was JN-82

Hope some deserving k-12 educator qualified for the Sandy Hook Elementary
School memorial plaque that I sponsored.

In spite of all lids in the DX window, it was fun contest.