[3830] RTTY Roundup K7IA Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k7iaham@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] RTTY Roundup K7IA Single Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2013 15:17:40 -0800
                    ARRL RTTY Roundup

Call: K7IA
Operator(s): K7IA
Station: K7IA

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: NM
Operating Time (hrs): 14.43

------------
   80:  143
   40:  169
   20:  327
   15:  279
   10:   25
------------
Total:  943  State/Prov = 54  Countries = 38  Total Score = 86,756

Club:

Comments:

Last summer, I began writing a Primer whose purpose was to acquaint RTTY

contesters, both new and "experienced" with the basics of Baudot Radioteletype

(RTTY) and how to employ it in contesting.  After extensive review by worldwide

RTTY contesters and neophytes alike, I made the paper available via email

request.  Many have asked for copies, and all of their subsequent feedback has

overwhelmingly been more than positive.  Alas, the number of operators flooding

into the ranks of RTTY contesting exceeds the number of requests for the
Primer,

and the result, for me, is a precipitous decline in my interest in battling the

average RTTY op for a "clean" and satisfying contest QSO.

I therefore offer a copy of my paper to anyone who asks for it.  It is in .pdf

format, 40 pages long, and packed with descriptions of how "teletype" works,
why

radioteletype is completely unlike the more modern digital modes (other than

they all use QWERTY keyboards), how the radioteletype operator can at least

minimize the effects of garbles caused by atmospherics and QRM, and a host of

other lore and tips useful to the contester.

To whet your appetite, read the paper and learn:

1.  Learn that there is far more to "5-level" Baudot Code-driven radioteletype

than simply interfacing some computer software to a radio and getting on the

air.  RTTY is considerably unlike the modern digital modes, none of which were

originally based upon mechanical keyboard/printing machines.  If you are
willing

to simply "plug and play" without knowing anything about the communications
mode

you are using, then you may as well be a phone operator who contributes to the

QRM, splatter, and loose exchange procedures.

2.  Learn that Baudot RTTY is not error correcting and is so susceptible to

garbled printing characters and control functions that the good RTTY operator

must think and consider the operator at the other end more than he thinks of

himself.

3.  Learn that the "5-level" Baudot Code, used by the Teletype machine (and

computer emulators) can encode no more than 32 distinct combinations--far too

many to transmit or receive 26 letters, plus 10 numerals, plus essential

punctuation characters.  Learn how the designers of the TTY machine worked

around that obstacle, even though it caused garbles to go hand in hand with

radioteletype communication.

  In other words, when you press a keyboard key, learn why its corresponding

character may NOT "print" on the other operator's screen.  Learn some maneuvers

that will at least minimize such misprints that will help the other contester

log your QSO accurately.

4.  Learn how computer logging software (and the operator's eye) "parses"

incoming contest callsigns and exchange data and how you can improve parsing
for

the other operator.

5.  Understand that the more characters and numerals that are sent in a

radioteletype circuit the greater is the chance of a garble destroying the

fidelity of one or many subsequent characters.  Then learn how to construct

contest exchanges that are not only faster to send but also minimize the number

and effects of natural garbles.  Learn also that quick and efficient contest

exchanges minimize QRM in pileups, improve QSO rates for all operators, and

improve logging accuracy.

6.  Learn why, for example, while sending RST as "5NN" makes perfect sense in
CW

contests, it make absolutely no sense at all in a RTTY contest.  It not only

takes more time, but it also increases the risk of garbles.  Similarly, learn

why it makes no sense to send, in the RTTY RU contest, an exchange in the
format

"599 -- NM -- NM" or similar.  Just as a surgeon "signs" his work, an operator

who uses constructs like these demonstrates his lack of knowledge of his chosen

mode.

7.  Understand why adding a lot of superflous information to the required

contest exchange, which I term "fluff," not only adds nothing useful, but it

worsens the chance of garbles, QRMs the Running frequency, and slows things
down

for all of the operators.  Examples of "fluff" are Q-signals (as in asking the

other op "QSL?"  It goes without saying that the other op will either

acknowledge or ask you to repeat.); prosigns ("K"  "KN"  "SK"  and "DE" which

really isn't a prosign.  In amateur RTTY, everyone knows when it's his turn to

transmit--just listen to the other guy, and when his mark tone disappears, then

it's our turn.  The only ops who should send "DE" or "SK" are those living in

Delaware or Saskatchewan!); greetings ("GL"  "73"  etc., and worse, sending my

name to me.  I already know my name!  Just send whatever is needed and no
more);

etc.  You get the idea.

8.  Regarding contesting lore, learn and understand the difference between

Running Mode and Search and Pounce Mode, how and why they are different, and
how

the QSO gets bogged down when one or the other forgets who is who (usually it's

the S&P op who is the culprit).

9.  Learn some tricks that will help you work the Running Op in a pileup--even

RTTY pileup.

10.  And much more.

For you experienced RTTY ops, as I'm certain most of you who read 3830 posts

are, I hope you will help yourselves to a copy, too.  It isn't copyrighted, so

you may feel free to share it with your club and others you may be Elmering.

You may also do as I have done--jot down the callsigns of ops you encounter in

contests and email a copy to them.  They may reply to you (or to me).  I have

yet to receive a negative response.  On the contrary, the replies are along the

lines of "thanks for the help," indicating that ops really want to do better if

there were just a way to learn how.  You can help them, too!

To get a copy, just drop me an email:  k7ia@arrl.net and use a reply email

address that doesn't require me to sign in to something.  I'm retired, the wx

has been too cold for antenna work here, and I'm getting over a cold, so you

won't wait very long for my reply!

73, dan k7ia