[3830] ARRL Jan VHF KK6MC Single Op Port QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jamesduffey@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL Jan VHF KK6MC Single Op Port QRP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 10:10:16 -0800

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  18     13  Total Score = 240

Club: New Mexico Big River Contesters

Comments:

I had cataract surgery on the Wednesday before the contest, so I decided to stay
close to home rather than rove. This is my first QRP Portable entry. I set up a
small station on the deck, one each FT680, FT480, and FT780 to a Moxon on 6M, 6
element WA5VJB on 2M and 10 element  WA5VJB on 70cm. The antennas were on a
painter's pole, about 10 feet above the deck. It was all powered with a deep
cycle battery. With daytime temperatures in the low 40s, it was comfortable to
operate outside; in the evening when the sun went down, temperatures went to
the 20s and I didn't operate much.

I forgotten how little action there is in this contest around here when you
don't rove. After working all the locals I listened to 6M trying to open. We
had short weak openings on Saturday and Sunday, mostly to the east and
southeast. It is tough to work these openings with 10W. In the hour before the
contest ended there was a very nice opening to XE which was much more conducive
to my 10 W.  Good fun, but I think I will rove in June.