[3830] ARRL Jan VHF K1TOL Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL Jan VHF K1TOL Single Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 06:36:03 -0800

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  400    98  Total Score = 39,200

Club:

Comments:

The contest weekend brought forth about an hour of Es on Saturday and about 30
minutes on Sunday. There were some periods during the weekend when scatter
signals would pop through and some Es "bubbles" would try to form but the hope
vanished quickly. The best DX on "scatter" was a short 5 minute opening to NFL
and a few random qsos into MN and WI.
The dismal aspect was a total of only 10 qsos to both the North & East of my
QTH (2 qsos in the Canadian Maritimes does not encourage hundreds of "CQs" in
those directions!).
Also, Saturday started off with minimal QRN in all directions but by Sunday
afternoon, the cold temps. roared into Maine and the power lines began
singing....and I then saw my s-meter go from S-1 at 2 PM to S-7 by sunset (not
a favorable condition for contesting!). By 8 PM, after too many "I can't get
your call in my noise" comments, I decided to do some late contest "S & P"
action but it seems all the tropo and scatter propagation had vanished
suddenly.
To summarize: not as good as last January.....no backscatter, no aurora, poor
tropo, teasing scatter, and only 1.5 hours of Es all weekend.