[3830] CQ160 CW KC0W Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW KC0W Single Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2013 07:26:21 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: KC0W
Operator(s): KC0W
Station: KC0W

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: ND
Operating Time (hrs):

Total:  QSOs = 500  State/Prov = 1  Countries = 1  Total Score = 1

Club:

Comments:

'

Fun but nearly wore out my F1 key on the second night. Made probably 70% of my
total Q's during the first 9 hours of the 'test. I think we all were trying to
find the proverbial, "fresh meat", by the time Saturday night (local time)
rolled around.

 Sorry for the ones I just couldn't pull out of the noise. Problems with my
newly installed circle array receiving system. Had to use my transmit antenna
for receive at just one hour into the 'test. Fiddled around with it Saturday
afternoon but need to spend more time troubleshooting it. Should have it up &
running by the time the 160 SSB rolls around.

 Lost both of my 140' phased array towers for 160 meters in an ice storm from
hell back in November. This was the starting point of the planned 160 meter
4-square here. Heart breaking to say the least since I did 100% of the work
getting the array up & operational by myself. Have been using their former 3+
miles of ground radials under my temporary 160 antenna. Used this setup for
ARRL 160, Stew Perry & now CQ 160.

 DX propagation on Friday night (from here at least) was non-extant except for
being called by KH6CC, KH6LC & KH7X. All three were 5NN+ but still nothing
coming outta VK/ZL/JA land. Great hearing the rarer states of WY, SD & MT being
so well represented, thanks guys!!! I worked a grand total of ONE other North
Dakota station. Thanks Alex.

 Worked 49 states with Alaska being the sole holdout. Funny since I worked
Alaska 8 - 10 times in the ARRL 160 CW 'test.

 The usual suspects (usually coming outta Colorado) had tremendous signals all
weekend. Nice to hear so many people who are true Top Band enthusiasts. A
special "atta boy" goes out to W6BH for his 3 element wire beam......He was a
needle bending (is that possible on a K3?) 40+ over here all weekend.

Thanks for all the Q's & hope you had fun. Best to everyone from the heart of
the oil patch here in south western North Dakota. We are now the nations #2
leading oil producing state. Not bad, huh?........We are coming after ya
Texas!!!

As always, the KC0W contesting disclaimer:

*** I contest for the FUN of it from here in North Dakota & not to collect any
awards, plaques or "wallpaper". I use my general logging program to track
the total number of QSO's made & leave it at that. This is why I have no
information regarding my total number of mults or a final score. ***

Tom KC0W

'