[3830] CQ160 CW N9TF Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW N9TF Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2013 10:13:59 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: N9TF
Operator(s): N9TF
Station: N9TF

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: IL
Operating Time (hrs): 9.5

Total:  QSOs = 313  State/Prov = 49  Countries = 7  Total Score = 41,216

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

This ended up  being even lower power than I thought it would be. First contact
out of the gate with 100 watts wiped out the main Direct TV receiver in the
family room. Went 10 years plus with the old DTV system with no problems. Now
with all the new fancy software and options, and poorly shielded receivers, i
have RFI problems that were non existent for more than 10 years. Ended up
running no more than 25 watts to a low hanging inverted U. Any more than that
and WHAM! Refomating the DTV receiver kicked in.

On the positive side I was able to work at least 5 new DX on 160. Conditions
were really great for a couple hours late Saturday night into early Sunday
morning for EU, and the band was relatively quiet for a change at my location.
I have never been able to hear as many EU and other DX with my small station as
I heard Saturday night.

West coast was a bit lite and I never heard any ID, MT, UT, ND, AK or HI.
By about 4am local time Sunday morning my CQ's were going unanswered for long
periods of time, all the signals on the band calling were in the log, and the
noise level was now picking up to and S9. That was my call to pull the plug and
call  it a contest.
Despite having to turn down the power level, all in all it was a good time.
It's always fun to work some new DX, and always a good time to make Q's with my
SMC brothers and sisters.
I'm sure there will be some big scores out there with conditions as they were
to EU and a relatively quiet band.

Station conditions: Icom 756 ProIII 25 watts to a Inverted U 33' vertical along
side of short tower, 75' horizontal to tree in corner of lot sloping down to 25
above ground, then 20' vertical to fence with last 8' laced on wood fence
running back towards tower.

73 Gene, N9TF