[3830] CQ160 CW WS7L Single Op Assisted HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW WS7L Single Op Assisted HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2013 15:41:10 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: WS7L
Operator(s): WS7L
Station: WS7L

Class: Single Op Assisted HP
QTH: OR
Operating Time (hrs): 18

Total:  QSOs = 349  State/Prov = 53  Countries = 13  Total Score = 58,278

Club: Willamette Valley DX Club

Comments:

Condx seemed pretty good ... the noise level on my TX antenna is usually about
S9 and it was more like S7. Good prop coast to coast most of the first night
and I was able to get at least one hour of 50 Q's, which is about my best rate.
Second night, I quit for a nap around 0700 because I couldn't get farther than
NM. But after two hours' rest, the band was great across NA. Only missed CT and
DC for the US. DX was pretty tough, though I did manage a single EU contact
(CS2F), which I have not done in CQ160 since the glory days of 2010. That was
my only new one. Heard another couple newbies but could not penetrate. RX was
mainly on the TX vertical with just a little help from loop-on-ground. The
latter helps a lot with domestic and Pacific contacts but does nothing for EU
so I suppose I need something directive.

Great ops for the most part ... seems like in the last few years the runners
and searchers have both accustomed themselves to the ins and outs of the band,
and I had very few "iffy" QSOs. Some were tough, but I usually either got a
"NIL/SRI/LTR" response or they stuck with me until we had a clear exchange.
We'll see if the log checker agrees :)

73 and thanks for the calls.
Carl WS7L
K3 + KPA500 + 15 m top-loaded vertical + loop on ground