[3830] NA Sprint CW W4EF HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, W4EF@dellroy.com
Subject: [3830] NA Sprint CW W4EF HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2013 13:10:25 -0800
                    NA Sprint CW Contest - February

Call: W4EF
Operator(s): W4EF
Station: W4EF

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 4:00

   80:   88    1:05
   40:   82    1:13
   20:  126    1:42
---------------------

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Team: SCCC

Comments:

I came out of the gate pretty well (50 QSOs in the first 30 minutes), slowed a
little in the 2nd 1/2 hour (38 more QSOs), and then really started choking in
the 2nd hour. Sometime in the 2nd hour after the adrenalin from the 1st 30
minutes wore off, I started to notice a tightness in my back muscles behind my
shoulder blades which seemed to make it hard to concentrate (I couldn't focus
to save my life). The third hour was about the same. I got a little rate boost
when I went to 80 meters just before the start of the last hour, but it wasn't
quite enough to break the 300 barrier. Later in the evening a few hours after
the contest I developed a really deep cough and soar throat which I suppose
could explain the tightness in my back muscles and the tiredness/poor
concentration. This was unfortunate because I still had to go out in the rain
after the contest to do some plumbing to get the water turned back on in the
house at my remote site.

Multiplier wise the most frustrating thing was having a QSO with KU7Z in Utah
trashed by QRM and then later having him respond "QSO B4" when I heard him in
the clear. I tried to convince him that I still needed a QSO, but he slipped
away. Also heard VE5 and WV, but no cigar.

When reflecting on the contest, the analogy of a mediocre golfer comes mind. I
love the game, but I will probably never be "tour material"   See you all next
time.

73, Mike W4EF..............