[3830] NA Sprint CW K8AZ(W8WTS) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jim@w8wts.com
Subject: [3830] NA Sprint CW K8AZ(W8WTS) HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2013 21:05:41 -0800
                    NA Sprint CW Contest - February

Call: K8AZ
Operator(s): W8WTS
Station: K8AZ

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Chesterland, OH
Operating Time (hrs): 4.0
Radios: SO2R

   80:  103
   40:   63
   20:   47
---------------------

Club: North Coast Contesters

Team: NCC/MRRC Central

Comments:

This was a poor performance on my part.  Conditions were generally good,
participation was high, the station was superb, but my brain failed.

My plan was to sprint from my home station, but the opportunity arose to sprint
from K8AZâ??s magnificent station.  It was a tough decision (NOT), but I chose
Tomâ??s station over my R7 and 80m dipole.

I started strong, keeping up with my peers.  SOP from 8-land is to start
sprinting on 40m, then move up.  SO2R between 40m and 20m was productive and
fun.  Unfortunately, at about 0130Z, my brain imploded.  I sunk into a funk of
confusion and watched my rate sink into the depths of despair.  For whatever
reason, no amount of Diet Coke could pull me out of the ditch.  I continued to
sputter along making a miserable rate until 80m ramped up.  Around 0245Z, I
found the road and began contesting again.  Unfortunately, there was no way to
recover from my QSO deficit at such a late stage.  40m was now quiet so I
concentrated on 80m, using almost no SO2R through the end of the sprint.

Many thanks to Tom, K8AZ for use of his fantastic station and for his unmatched
hospitality, and thanks to Tim, K3LR, for organizing the NCC/MRRC teams.