[3830] RTTY WPX KK9A SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, john@kk9a.com
Subject: [3830] RTTY WPX KK9A SOAB LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2013 02:40:49 -0800
                    CQ WW RTTY WPX Contest

Call: KK9A
Operator(s): KK9A
Station: KK9A

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: North Carolina
Operating Time (hrs): 30
Radios: SO2R

------------
   80:  225
   40:  654
   20:  596
   15:  704
   10:    9
------------

Club:

Comments:

In February 2010 I operated my first RTTY contest and I have been hooked on this
mode ever since. Before each RTTY contest I have tried to make some improvements
to the hardware and software. This time I replaced my decade old version of
Writelog with a current version which has many more RTTY features. The call
stacking and Rittyrite clone were very useful. A couple of weeks ago, I spent
some time networking a second computer in the shack. It was actually easier
than I expected and thanks to the online PJ2T PowerPoint presentation I had no
problems networking Writelog. I had not been on the air for three months and
luckily I found P49X warming up on 10m and 15m just hours before the contest
and I was able to quickly test out the configuration and the antenna system.
For this yearâ??s WPX RTTY I decided to try the SOAB LP category instead of
operating 20m single band as I had in previous years. I had no previous
experience with SO2R RTTY but I turned on both transceivers at the beginning
and gave it a try. Using two radios does take some coordination but it was not
long before I felt comfortable making QSOs on both radios almost simultaneously
and hopefully without too many errors. The station was running perfectly and
then after 14 hours I had a serious B.S.O.D. computer crash. I had this issue
in last yearâ??s WPX , apparently my computer and my USB RTTY keyer do not
always get along. I had changed the device drivers and made a few other changes
and thought that the problem was resolved. During my next time off I removed the
PCIe serial card and the Hal DXP38 RTTY decoder, just in case they were causing
the computer hardware conflict. The computer then ran fine until the last few
hours when I had two more blue screen of death crashes and another strange
issue that required a reboot so obviously the trouble still exists. It is a
frustrating problem. 10m never open very well however conditions on the other
bands were pretty good. I had my highest rates on 15m which had fantastic
openings to Europe both mornings and a great opening to Japan on Saturday
afternoon.

The 2013 WPX RTTY was a very fun contest and it was hard to turn off the
transceivers after my 30 hours of operating time was up.  I would like to thank
everyone for the QSOs.  Please QSL via WD9DZV.

73,
John KK9A aka P40A