[3830] ARRLDX CW W2UP SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w2up@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW W2UP SOAB LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2013 08:07:11 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: W2UP
Operator(s): W2UP
Station: W2UP

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: CO
Operating Time (hrs): 13

  160:
   80:
   40:  103    52
   20:  140    72
   15:  254    79
   10:   52    33
-------------------
Total:  549   236  Total Score = 388,692

Club: Grand Mesa Contesters of Colorado

Comments:

Wow, great condx the first 24 hours!  I started by working lots of JAs on 15,
then had moderate success, for being in Colorado, with EU on 40.  On Saturday
morning, EU was loud on 15 - like east coast loud!  RU1A is always a great
indicator of the band as their sunset is about the same time as 15 opening
here.  I've been on 15 from K0RF's super station, during poor condx, when they
were inaudible.  From my QTH, they were well over S9 on Saturday AM.

I actually felt loud with my 100W and 40-10m balcony dipole (pic on qrz.com for
those who want to commiserate with me.)  I did 100% S&P and worked many stations
on the first call.  I called many KW stations who were fairly weak here and was
surprised they heard me.  Two exceptions were OP4K (on 20) and 9V1YC (on 2
bands) who kept CQing in my face.  Best hour was 82 and best 10 minutes was at
a 114/hr rate.  Tried one CQ on 15 during the EU opening, with no callers after
2 minutes, so I quickly gave that up.

Since Saturday was a nice day, I took a break for a 25 mile bike ride after the
high bands closed to EU.  Where else besides Colorado can you ski one day, then
bike ride in shorts the next day?  Then, Saturday PM, the JAs were harder to
work on 15 and 20, though I did work a few on 10m, which I couldn't do Friday
night.  I also had a very tough time with EU on 40.

On Sunday morning, I woke up and got on 40 about 30 minutes before sunrise.
Few JAs heard me, despite them having good signals here.  I also called YB4IR,
HS0ZIA, and 2 HLs with no success.  I went to 20, then 15 after sunrise and EU
was weak and fluttery on both bands - definitely a solar disturbance in
progress.  So, I decided to preserve the memory of a good contest, rather than
a struggle, and turned the radio off.