[3830] ARRLDX CW K2PO M/S LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wycpublic@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW K2PO M/S LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2013 16:20:06 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: K2PO
Operator(s): K2PO K7RF WI7N WS7L W8NF
Station: K2PO

Class: M/S LP
QTH: Oregon
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:   18    13
   80:  119    44
   40:  339    84
   20:  599   100
   15:  529   100
   10:  162    43
-------------------
Total: 1766   384  Total Score = 2,033,280

Club: Willamette Valley DX Club

Comments:

My XYL went out of town on a trip, so at the last minute I invited WI7N, K7RF,
WS7L and W8NF over to do a low-power, multi-single, to keep me company.
('Special thanks to WI7N and K7RF who did middle-of-the-night shifts.  With low
power, those hours can get real long...)

Murphy mercifully stayed away.

It was discouraging to see the N1MM Available Multiplier window filled with red
spots both mornings, showing 10m European multipliers (spotted by east coast
skimmers), and not being able to hear any.

Although 10m was somewhat disappointing, the other bands were generally in good
condition.  We even worked multiple Europeans on 80m â?" a first.  Another first
was making single-band DXCC in a weekend (twice!).

This was my first experience coping with the 6 band changes per hour rule.  I
see that it helps level the playing field with single ops, who have the
advantage of being able to essentially operate two bands at once with SO2R.

Our score is well above the previous US/VE record for M/S LP.  However, it's a
long way from the DX M/S LP record set last year by our Willamette Valley DX
Club mates N7OU, W7YAQ, K7AR and NE7D.  Maybe our club will simultaneously hold
both the US/VE and DX records.  (Watch out PVRC!)

Thanks to all the patient ops who stuck with us through multiple repeats to
make contacts, and to those adventurous ops who activated obscure countries for
the contest.

73,

/Bill, K2PO
Newberg, Oregon