[3830] ARRLDX CW ZF2AM(K6AM) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW ZF2AM(K6AM) SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 06:10:21 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: ZF2AM
Operator(s): K6AM
Station: ZF2AM

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Cayman Is.
Operating Time (hrs): 44
Radios: SO2R

  160:  444    58
   80:  910    58
   40: 1166    58
   20: 1162    58
   15: 1487    59
   10:  968    59
-------------------
Total: 6137   350  Total Score = 6,439,650

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

Conditions good, but not quite up to last year.  Started falling behind on
Sunday and never caught up as I struggled to keep the runs going at times.

To top things off (top band - get it?), The 160 meter antenna shorted out just
as the contest started.  Tried to lower it to fix it in the dark but the coax
snagged on the tower, so score there was almost zero after the first night.
Lost an hour at dawn climbing the tower, unhooking the cable and fixing the
charred PL-259.  Fortunately, everyone stuck around and I ended up topping last
year's 160 score in just one night.

Sorry, I can't come up with any more excuses.

Last year in this post, I made my case for reducing the hours.  For the serious
players, this would relieve the torture and serious heath risks of staying up so
long.  Everyone else doing less than a full time effort would have a realistic
achievable goal.  A lot of them would extend their effort to full time if they
knew they could actually make it to the finish.

Since last year, there have been discussions at ARRL about changing the rules
to get better participation.  Shorter times for single ops came up but the idea
got nowhere.  I think this will be my last single op in ARRL DX.

Thanks to all who moved for me, especially NE, MS and KY on 10 and all you rare
VE's.

CU next week in CQWW 160 SSB and then at PJ2T for ARRL SSB M/S with K8LEE and
W0CG.

73,

John, K6AM/ZF2AM