[3830] ARRLDX CW W9XT SO Unlimited LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW W9XT SO Unlimited LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 06:28:53 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: W9XT
Operator(s): W9XT
Station: W9XT

Class: SO Unlimited LP
QTH: WI
Operating Time (hrs): 37

  160:   10    10
   80:   97    60
   40:  304    85
   20:  474    96
   15:  276    93
   10:  270    80
-------------------
Total: 1430   424  Total Score = 1,818,960

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

With my current antenna issues I can only  run low power on  80 & 160 so decided
to go low power unlimited.  The initial propagation numbers were not too
promising but conditions were pretty good.
It was mostly S&P. I only had a few decent runs.
160M was about what I expected. It is tough working DX low power.  80M was a
surprise.  I worked quite a bit more than I expected.  In my semi-rural QTH
with Beverages and a K9AY array I hear pretty well on the low bands. I worked a
few stations I could barely hear who were running high power that pulled me out
first call.
40M was huge.  I had a nice run working about 40 stations in a half hour during
the European sunrise.  20M was the money band. Normally I donâ??t do all that
well on 20.  I had a couple of hours of steady but not great runs on Sunday
afternoon.
I expected 15M would be the big band this year, but it was a disappointment. I
never got any runs going.  Ten was about what I expected on Saturday. I got a
few Europeans and a few JAs.  Then about 13:30Z on Sunday it opened up nicely
to Europe and I had some decent runs. The last couple of hours in the contest
10 and 15 sounded very strange. The band was very quiet and signals dropped out
sooner than expected, but not like it normally sounds as the band closes. Anyone
else notice that?
I had planned on being more serious. I ended up sleeping an extra hour Friday
night/Saturday morning.  Then on Saturday night I hit a wall and could just not
stay awake and ended up sleeping a couple of hours longer than I normally sleep
during the week.  Iâ??m sure that hurt my low band numbers big time.
All and all a good time and I didnâ??t miss re-tuning the amp every time I
changed bands.

FT-1000MP, TH7 & A3 Tribanders, 2 el 40M yagi, shunt fed tower on 80, 160M
sloper