[3830] ARRLDX CW N5FO SOSB/80 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW N5FO SOSB/80 HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 09:26:18 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: N5FO
Operator(s): N5FO
Station: N5FO

Class: SOSB/80 HP
QTH: NM
Operating Time (hrs): 22

  160:   20    15
   80:  271    67
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total:  291    82  Total Score = 67,404

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Comments:

After spending most of yesterday in Tucson, picking Kim up returning from
Hawaii, and getting some good sleep last nite, I took a look at the log this
morning.

I only tried to work 160 through about 1:30am Sat when I took a sleep break for
a couple hours.  It was very obvious by then from the lack of calls and replies
on 160,  that the 80M inv-V was performing much better for xmit than the 160
dipole.  So, when I got back on early Sat morning, I just decided to focus on
80 instead.  In the end I only spent about 2-1/2hrs on 160 and almost 19 on 80.
 I probably missed some stuff on 80 the first nite while hopelessly calling on
160.  My running there (on 160) produced almost nothing.  The 20 contacts and
15 countries on 160 came almost entirely from S&P scans.

80 was a different story, with 271 Qâ??s for 67 mults the transmit performance
was much better.  Most all of these came from running, with a few S&Pâ??s along
the way, usually taking a break from running about once every hour.  I also
noticed that when I ran on 80, I â??cleared a big holeâ?? unlike other contest
where other â??runnersâ?? kept creeping in on me.

I really donâ??t know who â??THEâ?? dx stations to work on 80M are, but I
obviously worked some good ones.  Sat morning from about 3:30 to 7:45 had a
nice run on 72 JAâ??s picked my Qâ??s up for sure.  Unfortunately the opening
didnâ??t repeat itself on Sunday, with only 31.  In fact the second morning was
pretty boring since I had already worked many stations out there.  The only QRPs
worked were a total of 5, all JAâ??s!  There were also quite a few JAs running
just 50 watts.

I did manage to pick up 3 VKâ??s (all running LP) around 1300Z Sunday  and a
single ZL3IO 0800Z Sat.  Although I tried many times, I could not get thru the
pileup on HL4RBR last thing yesterday morning before he faded out and I left
for Tucson.

The most frustrating thing was listening to the East Coast guys work all the
Europeans (which I can now hear thanks to the beverages) and rarely being able
to â??top deckâ?? those guys and get thru.

Anyway, my goal was to confirm improvement with the beverages, which I did.  Of
course, at the same time, it showed up the transmit antenna weakness, especially
on 160.  I may have to try that sloping dipole idea that Steve has come up with.
 I just need something high to string it up on!