[3830] ARRLDX CW N7WA SOSB/40 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW N7WA SOSB/40 HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 11:42:08 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: N7WA
Operator(s): N7WA
Station: N7WA

Class: SOSB/40 HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:
   80:
   40:  733    81
   20:
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total:  733    81  Total Score = 178,119

Club: Western Washington DX Club

Comments:

This test traditionally falls on a weekend where I am otherwise preoccupied
        during some of the best European run time (if any) and an All Band
effort is
futile. This year, I took a different tack and I decided to go Single Band 40
as the evening hours were free. I've done Single Band 20 operations before (as
it allows you to sleep at night) but this was my first foray into the night
side.

Working the big guns into Europe was pretty easy. I felt there was an
undercurrent of 100watt/dipole stations out there because they would pop up in
small waves but the copy was really dicey at times. I never truly got into that
second tier too well. Many times, I spent minutes digging out a single call.
I've been there myself so it's important. Japan and Asia, on the other hand,
was steady and kept me busy. Lots of 50watt stations and some smaller including
a couple at 1 watt. I probably worked more Australians than I ever have before
for a single test. All in all, I enjoyed it and I got a couple hours sleep in
each night too. Happy with my Q count but disappointed in my mult count.

Post contest, it's been fun to watch the results come in on the Android App
I've been working on. A lot more fun than looking at last years results which I
use for test purposes. I think I have them half memorized by now. I expect to
have that app on the Google Play site before the SSB edition rolls around.

cheers dink, n7wa