[3830] ARRLDX CW PJ4X(@PK4X) M/M HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k1xx@cfl.rrcom.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW PJ4X(@PK4X) M/M HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 11:47:33 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: PJ4X
Operator(s): K1XX, W1MD, K1QX, K1EA, K1ZM, K5KG, WI9WI
Station: PK4X

Class: M/M HP
QTH: Bonaire
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:   749    58
   80:  1372    58
   40:  1883    58
   20:  2190    59
   15:  2088    60
   10:  2042    58
--------------------
Total: 10324   351  Total Score = 10,809,045

Club:

Comments:

Can we and the folks at HK1NA get any closer!!!  We knew it was going to be
tight during the contest since HK1NA was posting their score on the Russian
real-time reflector.  We were ahead early in the contest and at about the 24
hour point the HK1NA folks drew even and then a bit (roughly 100k) ahead.  This
went on until Sunday morning when our power went out.  We saw a power truck down
the road that appeared to be fixing an insulator.  Fortunately, the power was
out for only about 30 minutes.  Once we were back on the air, we found
ourselves about 250k points behind HK1NA.

Though we closed the gap somewhat, it appeared we were going to fall short in
the end.  However, late Sunday afternoon, things really started to click.  K1ZM
was on 20, K1EA on 15, and WI9WI on 10.  Each op asked many of the contacts to
QSY to a band where we did not have a contact.  A lot of people moved when
asked.  About 2 hours from the end of the contest we pulled back into a tie
after being down.  It was something to watch!  A bunch of old guys and their
tri-banders....

I guess we should have seen the handwriting on the wall earlier in the week.
Wednesday afternoon we found that even though the house had 115 volt power, the
220 volt feed for the amplifiers and 1 of the 2 air conditioners was missing.
After the contest I'll find a site and publish a picture of the burned up
terminal block at the base of the ac power meter!  It was a wonderful education
in 3 phase ac power.

At the end of 48 hours, it comes down to the log checkers and operator
accuracy.

Congratulations to the guys at HK1NA and also thanks to the many people that
gave us contacts.

73  PJ4X ops

Charlie, k1xx
Jeff, k1zm