[3830] ARRLDX CW AA1K SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jz73@verizon.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW AA1K SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 12:20:25 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: AA1K
Operator(s): AA1K
Station: AA1K

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Delaware
Operating Time (hrs): 44.5

  160:  154    50
   80:  516    71
   40:  749    85
   20: 1200    95
   15:  605    84
   10:  486    67
-------------------
Total: 3710   452  Total Score = 5,030,760

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

Ran out of time to swap out ailing rotor on 40-meter beam before the contest. It
turned OK but the indicator does not work. Figured I'd leave it fixed on Europe
for most of the weekend but "count the seconds" to move it to JA when that was
needed. So Friday night when it was time for JA I timed 15 seconds and worked
some JA with the beam now aimed NW; later with similar timing I turned it back
and forth between NW and NE.

In daylight, however, I walked out to where I could see the beam and discovered
it was now aimed due south! So somehow I'd gotten the timing off or turned it in
the wrong direction on one of my moves. But that also explained why I was able
to work JT5DX without any trouble -- long path!

Operated just SO1R again this time. Single K3 transceiver and Alpha 89
amplifier.

Antennas:

160 -- TX, 3-el./4-el. vertical parasitic array in 4 directions. 4-el BS/EF
array. RX, Multiple phased Beverages and phased short verticals. (Rx. antennas
also used on 80 and 40m).

80 -- Inverted vee.

40 -- 3-el. HyGain Discover yagi.

20 -- Stack of three Hy-Gain 204BA 4-el. yagis.

15 -- Stack of two Wilson 415m 4-el. yagis.

10 -- Single Hy-Gain 105BA (modified W3XU design)

Other station details at www.aa1k.us