[3830] ARRLDX CW AD1C SO Unlimited LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jjreisert@alum.mit.edu
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW AD1C SO Unlimited LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 14:14:19 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: AD1C
Operator(s): AD1C
Station: AD1C

Class: SO Unlimited LP
QTH: CO
Operating Time (hrs): 21

  160:
   80:
   40:  144    68
   20:  177    78
   15:  329    87
   10:  134    52
-------------------
Total:  784   285  Total Score = 670,320

Club: Grand Mesa Contesters of Colorado

Comments:

Radio:       ICOM IC-7600 (100W)
Antenna(s):  HyGain AV-640 multi-band vertical, 1/2 G5RV in attic
Software:    WriteLog 11.09

My head was just not in this one.  Even thought Friday night went well and I
didn't feel as weak on 40 meters towards Europe as I usually do, I spent most
of Saturday being tired and distracted.  I packed it in about 7 p.m. local time
(02z) after about 540 QSOs, thinking I was done.

I checked the radio Sunday morning around 8:30 a.m. local time (1530z), having
already missed the 40/20 meter sunrise openings.  I would only get back on if
10 meters was open to Europe.  It was, but barely.  I picked up EI/Ireland,
I/Italy, 9A/Croatia and E7/Bosnia.  About an hour later, G/England and
OE/Austria.  The louder Germans could not hear me.  Later, I heard some of the
loudest Europeans I've ever heard on 15 meters from Colorado, mostly from
eastern and central Europe.  At times, both England/France and Japan were
coming in at the same time on 15 meters.  It reminded me of being back East.

The polar path on 10 meters opened both days.  Saturday around 1739z, I worked
OH6LI/Finland and SJ2W/Sweden, no other Europe on the band.  Sunday at 1938z
(two hours later than the previous day) I worked RI1FJ/Franz Josef Land, then
around 2020z I got through to ES5G/Estonia and RU1A/St. Petersburg.  At times
Sunday afternoon, K3LR and other stations back East were 100% auroral hiss.

YE1ZAT/Indonesia has good ears, working him at 1814z on Sunday on 20 meters.  I
could not make James 9V1YC/Singapore or Champ E21EIC/Thailand hear me, not even
a ?? from either of them.

I had two short runs -- Saturday afternoon on 10 meters to Japan (10 minutes),
and Sunday on 15 meters starting at 17z to Europe (30 minutes).  Outside of
those two times, calling CQ was useless, although during one earlier attempt to
run on 10 meters, VP2EC was the first and only caller, for a new multiplier!

I'm disappointed that I did not put in more of an effort, it would have been a
personal best from Colorado, and as I suspected even before I saw some of the
great scores posted to 3830, conditions were about as good as they are going to
get for this contest during this sunspot cycle.

42 stations worked on four bands:

6V7S,6Y2T,7J1YAJ,CE3CT,CR2X,CR3A,CW5W,EA5RS,EF8R,EF8USA,EI7M,
G6PZ,HC2/RC5A,HK1NA,J88DR,JA0QNJ,JA3YBK,JA8RWU,JE1LFX,JE1ZWT,
JF1SQC,KH6LC,KH7X,KP2M,KP4EE,LT1F,OA4SS,P40W,P49V,PJ2T,PJ4X,
PY2EX,PY2NDX,PY2NY,TI5W,TM6M,TO5X,V31TP,VP2ME,VP9/W6PH,ZF2AM,ZM1A

Countries worked, by band:

          160M    80M    40M    20M    15M    10M   Total

 3D2/r                     1             1      1       3
    3V                     1             1              2
    5B                     1      2      2              5
    6W                     1      1      2      1       5
    6Y                     1      1      1      1       4
    8P                     1      1                     2
    9A                     2      3      4      2      11
    9H                            1      1              2
   9M6                     1                            1
    C6                     1      1      2      1       5
    CE                     1      2      1      4       8
    CM                     2      2      3      1       8
    CN                            1      1              2
    CT                            1      1      1       3
   CT3                     1      1      1      1       4
    CU                     2      1      1      3       7
    CX                     1      2      2      1       6
    DL                     6      6     27             39
    E7                     1      1      1      1       4
    EA                     4      8     12      3      27
   EA8                     5      2      3      3      13
    EI                     2      1      2      1       6
    ES                     1      1      2      1       5
    EU                                   2              2
     F                     1      4     14      2      21
    FM                     1      1      1      1       4
    FY                            1      1      1       3
     G                     4      4      8      1      17
    GD                            1      1              2
    GI                            1      2              3
    GJ                                   1              1
    GM                                   2              2
    GU                                   1              1
    HA                     3      6      9             18
    HB                     1      1      1              3
    HC                     1      1      3      1       6
    HI                            1      1              2
    HK                     2      1      1      1       5
    HR                     1      1             1       3
     I                     8      9      9      1      27
    J3                     1             1              2
    J8                     1      1      1      1       4
    JA                    18     14     65     48     145
    JT                            1                     1
   KH2                                   1      1       2
   KH6                     3      4      2      3      12
    KL                     3      6      6      1      16
   KP2                     2      1      2      1       6
   KP4                     2      2      3      1       8
    LA                            1      3              4
    LU                     2      4      4      7      17
    LX                     1      1      1              3
    LY                            1      1              2
    LZ                     2      3      4              9
    OA                     1      1      1      1       4
    OE                     1      1      2      1       5
    OH                     1      4      7      1      13
    OK                     1      3     11             15
    OM                     1      2      1              4
    ON                     1      1      4              6
    P4                     2      3      3      3      11
    PA                     1      3      3              7
   PJ2                     1      1      1      1       4
   PJ4                     1      1      1      1       4
    PY                     6      9      9     10      34
  R1FJ                                   1      1       2
    S5                     5      3      9             17
    SM                            3      3      1       7
    SP                     1      2      8             11
    SV                                   2              2
    T8                     1             1              2
    TF                            1      3              4
    TI                     1      1      1      1       4
    UA                     3      4      2      1      10
   UA9                     3      4      6      1      14
    UN                            1                     1
    UR                     3      2      1              6
    V3                     1      1      1      2       5
    VK                     2             2              4
  VP2E                                   1      1       2
  VP2M                     1      1      1      1       4
   VP5                     1      2      2      1       6
   VP9                     1      1      1      1       4
    XE                     2      1      4      1       8
    YB                            1                     1
    YL                            1      2              3
    YN                     1      1      1              3
    YO                                   3              3
    YU                     1      4      2              7
    YV                     3      1                     4
    Z3                            1      1              2
   ZC4                                   1              1
    ZF                     1      1      1      2       5
    ZL                     3      1      4      4      12