[3830] ARRLDX CW K3TN SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW K3TN SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 16:06:41 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: K3TN
Operator(s): K3TN
Station: K3TN

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: MD
Operating Time (hrs): 10

  160:   49    39
   80:   74    54
   40:  189    76
   20:  252    81
   15:  200    79
   10:   59    40
-------------------
Total:  823   369  Total Score = 911,061

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Blew a PIN diode on my KPA500 before the contest, and my Titan amp was offline
as part of shack rework, so used the old Ameritron ALS 600 amp with sort of
auto-tune and about 400w. Didn't get to put in as much time as I had thought I
would be able to, so I maximized fun per unit time spent.

New excuse to add to the list: rehab of torn rotator cuff is to the point where
typing or sending CW is pain free - but rapid swing of right hand out to paddle
to deal with frequency stealers or hand sent message caused excruciating pain -
and ice pad to fall from shoulder spot under my shirt to much more sensitive
lower regions...

Did SO2V "power S&P" with K3 and its sub-receiver and RBN feed. Mostly focused
on available mult/Q pouncing, but kept running into N4ZR, AA3B, K3WW in the
pileups - all with much better stations. My usual strategy is to then switch to
just control-arrowing down the band map, but this time I tried to see if I could
just have Zombie-focus on that window and beat them to each spot. That actually
worked quite well for AA3B and K3WW who were probably CQing on another radio
but skimmer-running Pete was hard to beat!

Wasn't able to get on much until wee hours of Friday night/Saturday am but 160M
was great when I did the middle of the night wake up thing. Then I found 20m
opened to EU very early. There is usually the first stage of the 20M opening
where my 45' OCF diipole is too high angle to be worth spending time on 20,
then there is the later stage of the opening where *everyone* has moved to 20.
In between is usually this period where the in-bound angle has gone up, but it
is still dark on East Coast so all but the multis are still on 80 and 40. I had
great power S&P rates answering EU CQs with no competition.

By 1130Z had to go out into the real world, was able to come back and put in a
few more hours during Saturday. Caught a minor EU opening on 10, great signals
on 15. Didn't get back on until the wee hours of Sat night/Sun am, signals much
lower on 160 but EU stations seemed to hear very well. Wasn't home much on
Sunday, but snuck in some mult-picking and some runs on 20m to fill out the
score a bit.

My favorite received power exchanges "AAAA" and "NNTU" and "NB" which logged as
"1111" "99" tu and "NB" - I could not bring myself to think NB was 96.