[3830] ARRLDX CW ZL3IO SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW ZL3IO SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 18:02:12 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: ZL3IO
Operator(s): ZL3IO
Station: ZL3IO

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Waimarama Heights
Operating Time (hrs): 34

  160:   38    19
   80:  114    39
   40:  596    54
   20:  492    52
   15:  570    55
   10: 1077    57
-------------------
Total: 2887   276  Total Score = 2,358,972

Club: Bavarian Contest Club

Comments:

ARRL DX is a nice contest! Point your antennas to NA and enjoy great rates with
the best contest operators on the air.

It actually was the first time I sat in the future radio room of our new
house.
main power got installed & connected only a few days earlier. No paint, no
flooring, no water, no vanities but power...

I used a provisional (field day style) antenna set up. A hexbeam for 40-17m
@15m was used for 40/20/15m. The 40m elements radiate on 15m but probably
without directivity or gain. Additionally I used a 6L yagi @7m for 10m, a
quarter wave vertical for 80m and a dipole for 160m underneath the hexbeam.
The site is perfect for NA take offs. With the Antenna located at the platform
edge/cliff they see ground only 700 ft further down.

Radio was a K3 + HL2K (600-800 W) but I gave K for the easier exchange.

The high bands were cooking with great signals from NA. Obviously high bands
were well open to EU and AS which is unfortunate for us in New Zealand because
we are now coming from 90 degrees into the NA beam. At times I had more callers
from EU on 160m & 20m (LP) than from NA. On 160m EU was also much louder than
NA. Probably due to the fact that we had grey zone at both ends.

I will build a 15m beam for the SSB part!

The past years I never could spend a full time effort on the ARRL. For whatever
reason I was of the opinion that only 36 hours are allowed for SO. The impact
would not have been to big but I forced myself to do breaks and probably lost
some good low band time this way.

Due to the new 160m antenna I made for the first time from ZL 6 band contacts.

Thanks again for the contacts and a great radio time. Hope to see a few of you
in Visalia but all of you in the SSB part!

73 Holger, ZL3IO
www.kiwi-dx-lodge.com