[3830] ARRLDX CW K4TCG(@K0EJ) M/2 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w4nz@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW K4TCG(@K0EJ) M/2 HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 18:41:30 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: K4TCG
Operator(s): K0EJ, W5MX, W4NZ
Station: K0EJ

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: TN
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:   49    34
   80:  430    82
   40:  794    96
   20: 1372   103
   15: 1522   104
   10:  653    94
-------------------
Total: 4820   513  Total Score = 7,407,207

Club: Tennessee Contest Group

Comments:

This was the initial DX contest multi-op shakedown of Mark K0EJ's contest
station on a mountaintop just North of Chattanooga. He invited Bryan W5MX and I
to help him do a "for-fun" M/2 operation as he had a commitment over the weekend
and could not do a full-time operation himself. When I mentioned we were a bit
thin on operators for a competitive M/2 he said "No problem, just play. With
M/2 there will always be a seat if any of the TCG crew drop by and  want to
operate". We secured permission to use the Tennessee Contest Group club call
K4TCG (our Prime Directive is "HAVE FUN") and started "playing".  Well..the
rates started getting pretty good and we were having fun, but Mark had to leave
at noon on Saturday. That left Bryan and I to finish the contest.  No problem,
we'll "just play" and "have fun". But those are red flags to competitive-type
guys! Activity was good and getting better as the contest wore on. Usually
there were at least two bands we could run on.  We had only wires on 40m
(there's a Moxon laying on the ground ready to go up!) and no internet for
packet. Bryan did occasionally look at DX Summit with his I-phone to check for
possible new mults. Saturday evening produced a good JA opening on 15M. Sunday
morning, 20M started with a very early EU run(for TN)around 4AM. Since that was
the only really productive band I decided to grab a quick nap. It wasn't long
that Bryan woke me up saying, "you don't want to miss this".  15M and 10M were
wide open to EU and he needed help. We had high rates (again, for TN) until the
afternoon. Even near the end we were able to get short EU runs on 40M.

Thanks to Mark (and xyl Judy who provided the chocolate chip cookies) for
letting us put his station through the paces. We'll come back to test that 40M
Moxon next year!

73, Ted W4NZ

The setup:
Station 1: FT1000mp + TenTec Titan
Station 2: Elecraft K3 + AL-1200

160M - top-loaded "T" with 4 elevated radials
 80M - 4-square
 40M - delta loop, ground plane, wire 4L log-cell yagi suspended off 40/10m
tower (put up on Friday!)
 20M - 4/4 at 90/45'
 15M - 5/5 at 75/37'
 10M - 6L OWA @ 90'