[3830] ARRLDX CW W2RE M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, lee@ww2dx.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW W2RE M/S HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 06:48:28 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: W2RE
Operator(s): W2RE WW2DX K2CYE AB3CX W2EG N1EU
Station: W2RE

Class: M/S HP
QTH: Summit, NY
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:  114    58
   80:  593    86
   40: 1275   110
   20: 1430   111
   15: 1245   112
   10:  523    94
-------------------
Total: 5163   571  Total Score = 8,839,080

Club: Hudson Valley Contesters & DXers

Comments:

Pre Game:

We headed up to Summit Thursday evening to get a jump on getting the station
ready for the weekend. Since the station is 100% fully remote-able, we have to
spend time switching it over for the contest. Its cold up there, real cold. It
was below zero all weekend and in true ARRLDX CW weekend the winds were 50+mph
and blizzard conditions once again made the visit. Two years ago during this
contest 90mph winds took out a number of electrical lines and we only got about
18 hours in.

Here are some pics of the shack last year without power and the 3 ele 40m yagi
taking the gusts.

https://plus.google.com/photos/115511887753828037947/albums/5575991363135399345/5575991373591285218?banner=pwa

As the wind started to pick up we thought "Here we go again!" We could not turn
the rotors most of Sat Afternoon and Sunday due to the high gusts but as luck
would have it things were stable and the station stayed on the air all weekend.
Friday most of the team members showed up K2CYE, AB3CX and W2EG. Barry N1EU
showed up Sunday morning before sunrise to help us finish up the last 14 hours
of the test.

Our goal this year was to go after the K1LZ M/S record. We felt we had great
ops, good station design and solid strategy to be able to give it a really good
effort to accomplish this but we knew it was a stretch.

Game Time!

As always it seems no matter how early we get to the station and prepare for
0000z there is ALWAYS something in the last 5 minutes! This PC doesn't see that
one, this error here that error there, blah blah blah, SOS. And yes, we figured
it all out at 2359!

The first night the low bands were really good for us. Summit has the luxury of
NO NOISE. 80/160 you can hear the faintest of faint signals and at times you
forget your not on 15m or 20m with really nice runs. Even though the low bands
seemed to be in great shape we never had great openings to AS on any bands.
Seemed like we need to work for the AS q's and mults. We did work JA on 10-40
but not on 80/160. Saturday was chase mult day on 10m as we never got the EU
opening. Sunday was a much different story. The band had some strong EU
stations like 9A and S5 but not much else until a little later in the morning
then it came alive. The rate meter was well over 200 on 10m at one point Sunday
morning. All in all the conditions were better than last year and never once had
any issues with QRM and no LID factor either which is always nice. I experienced
more ops asking QRL? before calling CQ on top of you when trying to get the 005
rpt a few times on the weak ones. Much more courteous this year.

Post Game:

We accomplished the goal we set out and that was to reach 5000 q's and over
8.6m. At the 24hr mark we had 3000 and 4m+  so we knew it was well within reach
and we were really stoked to see 5000 on the qso count! We had a 202 in 120 min
and 222 in 60 min I think these are the best we have seen from here. After the
contest was over we took a 7 mile ride to the "Heart Break Hotel" to have some
drinks and dinner and celebrate. It was now -4f and blizzard condition but we
made it there and back in once piece!

We wanted to congratulate the W2FU team on a very FB job! Wow, talk about
close! 89 q's, thats less than 2 q's per hour! We gave it all we had so we owe
you guys a round in Dayton this year.

Future Plans:

The Summit contest station has been on the air for 2.5 years and its been a
really good run and in a short amount of time there are some great memories.
The time has come to move onto to something new and exciting. The goal is to
allow others to experience these thrills with amazing remote technology. It's
very likely that we may do a few more contests from there but we are thinking
of building a much bigger station closer to EU in 2013/14.

The SH5 breakdown can be seen here:

http://www.w2re.com/Results/2013-ARRL-DX-CW-W2RE/index.htm

Thanks to the K2CYE, AB3CX, W2EG and N1EU for making the trip and making this
weekend one to remember.

73 Lee
WW2DX and the W2RE team.
www.RemoteHamRadio.com