[3830] ARRLDX CW NA8V SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, hgchapoton@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW NA8V SOAB LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 13:55:07 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: NA8V
Operator(s): NA8V
Station: NA8V

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: mi
Operating Time (hrs): 43.5

  160:   37    33
   80:  221    72
   40:  403    69
   20:  522    83
   15:  497    83
   10:  323    66
-------------------
Total: 2003   405  Total Score = 2,433,645

Club: East Lansing DX Club

Comments:

Great condx on the low bands!

I have never had any success CQing on 40 in a major contest until this weekend,
made almost half of my 40 q's 06-09z Sat night.  Couldn't work a JA, which was a
surpise.  Once again I couldn't resist 80/160 and neglected 40 the first night.
had a dozen more Qs Sat than on Fri.

80 was great all weekend to EU, not so much to the west.  No JA,  but did get
ZL and VK with no one else calling.  Also worked a UA9/z17 Fri eve, a first for
me at this qth.  160 was good, worked an LA (harder from here) but couldn't work
an EA which is usually easy - called 3 or 4 with good signals.

Upgraded the high band antennas for this one - added a TH3 fixed SE on its own
tower and raised my TH6 to 67'.  Winter is not a good time for antenna work in
MI, snow and wind had put major delays in the project.  Got the TH6 up and
aimed at 2315z Friday afternoon.  It was well worth the effort.

10 was marginal to EU but with the new height (67' vs. 37') was able to work
quite a few stations on Sat without much trouble.  Sunday was able to run for
nearly 2+ hours at a decent rate.  didn't expect the band to open so well so
went up a bit late but it seemed to work out ok in the end.  Mostly western EU
with a few east EU and Scandanavians thrown in.

15 produced my best hour of the contest, a 115 that was mostly S&P on the first
pass thru the band.

20 was not spectacular but seemed solid.  not so many Asians as one would
expect with the bands so good.

My mult seems a little low, i did try and run maybe more than i should have.
No problem finding a freq and I seemed to get answers but no real screaming
rate.

Slept 2hrs each night.  Considered going straight thru with 40 still going well
but knew the sleep would pay off and it did.  Had some fatigue on Sun afternoon
but felt pretty good for the whole contest.  Good condx does much for the
adrenaline factor.

All in all, it was a great contest.

                    160    80    40    20    15    10    30    17    12    ALL
                    ---   ---   ---   ---   ---   ---   ---   ---   ---    ---
      USA calls =     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0      0
   Canada calls =     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0      0
       NA calls =    11    23    18    28    25    22     0     0     0    126
       SA calls =     4     8    14    33    28    38     0     0     0    125
     Euro calls =    18   181   355   422   405   248     0     0     0   1629
  African calls =     3     5     9     8     8     6     0     0     0     39
    Asian calls =     0     2     2    22     8     2     0     0     0     36
    Japan calls =     0     0     0    12    26     1     0     0     0     39
    Ocean calls =     1     5     9     3     5     7     0     0     0     30

    Total calls =    37   224   407   528   505   324     0     0     0   2025

TS850
10/15/20  TH6 67', TH3 47'(fixed SE)
40        Doubleslot, wire vert
80        2xInv L