[3830] ARRLDX CW CR2X(OH2UA) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, oh2ua@oh2u.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW CR2X(OH2UA) SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 23:02:22 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: CR2X
Operator(s): OH2UA
Station: CR2X

Class: SOAB HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 44
Radios: SO2R

  160:  377    54
   80:  697    58
   40:  962    58
   20: 1337    59
   15: 1385    59
   10: 1075    59
-------------------
Total: 5832   347  Total Score = 5,986,791

Club: Contest Club Finland

Comments:

Prior the contest I was checking old scores and realised that I've never run
ARRL DX from "newâ?? CR2X QTH. Truly speaking, I've never been a big fan of
ARRL DX. But didn't realize until now that my previous ARRL DX from Azores
(@CU2CE's QTH) was back in 2006 â?" now 7 years and 15 kilos later I was back.

In 2006 I was able to squeeze the score to 4M in not so great propagation and
put CT1BOH's 13 years old European record to it's final rest. Last year Filippe
(CT1ILT/CR6K) took the record back to mainland Portugal with score of 4.2M. So
it was time to hit back and get the record where it belongs â?" to the most
western point of Europe ;)

Because of work commitments I wasn't able to reach the island until late
Wednesday night via not that optimal route (Oulu â?" Stockholm â?" Amsterdam
â?" Lisbon â?" Ponta Delgada) and some 20 hours of traveling. Day before there
was direct flight from Stockholm with reasonable 9 hours of total traveling
time, but no can do. Fortunately in ARRL DX one can even get some sleep during
the contest, so it wasn't that bad after all. OH2BH and OH2PM were already on
the island, so I knew that station is in good shape with only minor things to
do.

I set my target to 6.1M with 6.000 QSO's. Low bands worked out better than
expected pushing my multiplier total well above the target and allowing me
almost to reach my goal with only 5800 QSO's. 40M and 10M single band efforts
from Azores made my band totals on those bands to fall a bit behind of target,
but otherwise contest wen't like planned.

I had a feeling of somewhat low activity on both sides. Maybe the change of
format to WPX style of 36 hour contest (as K6AM already suggested) would equal
the level of playing field inside Europe but also between EU and Caribbean.
Also getting back those low band (160-80-40) and high band (20-15-10)
categories could raise the activity and make contest even more interesting for
everyone. Just my 2 cents...

Live scoreboard added attraction once again. I just can't stop wondering why
you guys don't post your scores to make it even more interesting â?" more
scores more fun! I can say, that delays of systems and jitter in scores
appearing makes it impossible to to strictly follow what others are doing. Fear
of loosing ground because of showing ones score just doesn't make any sense. A
good example of kind of a â??un-sportsmanshipâ?? usage of scoreboard was
multi-multi battle between HK1NA and PJ4X. HK1NA showed the score and based on
3830 posting guys at PJ4X were trying to follow every second of battle via
scoreboard without posting their own score. Sorry guys, nothing personal - I
just don't get your point! If you're having internet connection and you're able
to follow what others are doing, what prevents you posting your own score?

After all, I'm very happy claiming the new European record with reasonable 30%
marginal. It was great fun to work with all of my old and new friends in North
America and provide CU-multiplier to many needing it. I'd like to express my
thanks to my friends in Azores (especially CU2CE & CU2DX for all the help) and
Radio Arcala team for great support.

73 de Toni OH2UA / CU2KI