[3830] NAQP RTTY VE9AA Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP RTTY VE9AA Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2013 05:18:12 -0800
                    North American QSO Party, RTTY - February

Call: VE9AA
Operator(s): VE9AA
Station: VE9AA

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: nb
Operating Time (hrs): 5

   80:   27    17
   40:   27    16
   20:   27    15
   15:   27    14
   10:   27     9
-------------------
Total:  135    71  Total Score = 9,585

Club: Maritime Contest Club

Team:

Comments:

Just diddling around.  At first I thought maybe about going for 200Q's for a
certificate, but RTTY is not really my ball of wax.
I guess that's partially because I have a very small station and for this
contest, you are only allowed 100w max.

Tuning around, condx were stinko.  My wire was not on fire !

So, I decided I would make 10 Q's on every band and just leave it at that.

Hmmm, made 10 Q's on 10, 15 and 20. That was too easy.  Go through the bands
again and pump it up to 20 Q's.
Also, easy.  Then I did something I don't think I have ever done. Made 1 more Q
on 10, 1 more Q on 15 and 1 more Q on 20m.
Rinse, repeat.  This I did until I made it up to 27 Q's per band.  Seemed about
the right amount of chase vs frustration for when I operate RTTY.

If I had made 13 mults on 15m, that would've been a real trick !

.  Only have a couple Q's on 40m as I type this as the sun just set.

One thing I notice about being a small station (100w and a ground plane) is
that there seems to be a fair amount of folks out
there who are anywhere from 559 to 599+10dB who I can't even get a QRZ from,
where there are many who are 519 here
who evidentally copy me perfectly.

That begs the question (at least in my mind) 'Are these guys all running huge
amounts of power ?' or have QRN levels the likes of
which have not been seen since the days of Nikola Tesla?...Just one of those
things that makes me go hmmm.

Random thought of the day: What is it with some guys and line feeds or carriage
returns or whatever you guys call it in the RTTY
world?  I have my logging program (N1MM) setup  so the RTTY rx window is in the
middle and it's downsized a bit. Some of these
guys scroll their own call right the bleep off my screen in less than 2 seconds
flat. I have to make the Q, then go back and find out
who they were.  I am not talking 1 or even 2 returns....I am talking a dozen.
What's up with that?

Fun contest.  Primary reason for getting on was to put out the presumably rare
mult.  Also heard VE9HF on, so the section was well represented
I guess.

The sun is down and things are still very quiet on 40m.. Maybe everyone is over
on 160m screaming their heads off?  Time to take a look ...