[3830] NAQP RTTY WB4YDL Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, heartdoc@nwtcc.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP RTTY WB4YDL Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2013 10:45:38 -0800
                    North American QSO Party, RTTY - February

Call: WB4YDL
Operator(s): WB4YDL
Station: WB4YDL

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: TN
Operating Time (hrs): 9.5
Radios: SO2R

   80:  171    45
   40:  194    41
   20:  105    35
   15:   28    12
   10:    9     5
-------------------
Total:  507   138  Total Score = 69,966

Club: Tennessee Contest Group

Team: Be

Comments:

Mr. Murphy paid a visit to my shack on the day of this contest. I started out
slow and it got slower when my Elecraft K3 gave me an ERR 12V message and
dropped the PA to bypass. It was intermittent at first and then it wouldnâ??t
go away. My other radio, the venerable FT-1000MP Mark V just bopped along fine
at 100 watts all contest. So I wasted plenty of time trying to figure whatâ??s
going on and what to do about it. I discovered that this is a known problem
with early serial number units and mine definitely qualifies for that at #616.
It turns out to be a tarnished tin-plated connector which needs to be replaced
by a gold-plated one.

So after fiddling around way too long, the decision was made to use the 10 watt
radio as a S&P radio while running with the Mark V. Needless to say, I was not
loud with this setup but surprisingly effective. I didnâ??t spend much time on
the upper bands and went to 80M early. 80M was in good shape and S&Pâ??ing on
40M at 10 watts yielded reasonable results.

The only thing I forgot is that this is a 12 hour contest. I stopped operating
15 secs to time because everybody seemed to â??go to bedâ?? at about the same
time ! Dâ??uh ! When in doubt read the rules ! ï?? Overall, had lots of fun and
heard many TCG stations â?" some I could actually get to hear me !

73, Jamie
WB4YDL