[3830] ARRLDX SSB W2IRT SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, peter@w2irt.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB W2IRT SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2013 16:13:38 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: W2IRT
Operator(s): W2IRT
Station: W2IRT

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: NJ
Operating Time (hrs): 30.5

  160:   19    17
   80:   99    56
   40:  150    73
   20:  413    94
   15:  745    97
   10:  277    82
-------------------
Total: 1703   419  Total Score = 2,140,671

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

Good and bad here for me. After setting a personal best-ever in the CW contest
two weeks ago I was shooting for an even better score in SSB, but the computer
ghods had other ideas. A bad audio stutter from my transmitted .WAV files
became unworkable and required immediate troubleshooting, which cost me 5 hours
in prime-time Saturday morning. The issue turned out to be a bad audio card but
not after trying all sorts of fixes and turning to various email reflectors for
help. I finally got back into some form of groove around 18z, when Europe was
finished on 15, and I basically racked up as many mults as I could in S&P.
Fortunately, that was the only real downside. All RF components performed
flawlessly.

I made up for Saturday's problems to a small degree on Sunday morning and
afternoon, when I had some great runs on 10, 15 and 20. As a result, I didn't
hit 100 entities on any band but was able to rack up the Qs on the upper bands
quite nicely. Still shy of my hoped-for 2,000+ QSOs and 3Meg, but I guess it's
as good as I can do under the circumstances.

Propagation on 80 and 160 wasn't great on Friday night and I picked up
everything on 80 that had been spotted and a lot that weren't, too. 160 was a
different story. I've never liked SSB on Topband and I didn't pay a lot of
attention to it, as my results there show. I did slightly better on Saturday
night on 160, but 40 and 80 on Saturday night were a wasteland with only a
smattering of new mults and Qs, and as a result, I went to sleep around
midnight. In the pre-dawn and dawn hours there wasn't much on 40, and only a
few JAs as compared to ARRL-CW. The lone bright spot was a JT1 up there. Very
few Zone 18/19 Russians on either day; very disappointing on that front as
well, though I picked up RC9O on 40 in Zone 18 -- if only that had been on 80,
where I still that zone as one of 4 left for my 5B-WAZ. Oh well :)

That's it for the biggies for the season, although I expect to put on a decent
show in WPX-SSB.