[3830] ARRLDX SSB W6QU(W8QZA) SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB W6QU(W8QZA) SOAB QRP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2013 22:02:41 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: W6QU
Operator(s): W8QZA
Station: W8QZA

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: Saan Diego, CA
Operating Time (hrs): 16

  160:    0     0
   80:    1     1
   40:   19     7
   20:   38    22
   15:  130    56
   10:   84    30
-------------------
Total:  272   116  Total Score = 94,656

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

Station:
Radio: Elecraft K-2 (5 watt version)

10-15-20 3 el SteppIR up 32 feet
40-80  Butternut HF-2V Vertical with 3 radials

Conditions were good but not great like the CW weekend.

This weekend turned out to be the weekend our daughter brought our 2 month old
grandson into town to meet all the relatives and friends. So we had a full
house.  This combined with my getting some sort of low grade flu limited my op
time to 16 hours.  And this is one of my favorite contests.

10 M I heard only 2 or 3 Europeans on 10 M, and was only able to work one: CR1Z
in the Azores.

The rest of the bands seemed to be pretty normal for this time of the cycle.

My best Q was working ZD7VC who was not in the contest but was glad to give me
a number. We chatted about QRP stories and I lowered my power all the way to
100 mW and he could still copy me 5-2. Later I saw that he had graciosly
decided to operate in the contest and give everyone a nuber.

Another great catch was HB0A.  I have not heard an HB0 for several years and
was delighted to finally break the pile.

I also was able to work the HC8/K7ST. Despite the present rarity of this call,
he had no pile up. His sig was weak and that might account for that.

I was able to work 65 different DXCC entities and worked 24 Zones. I did not CQ
even once in this contest.

Even feeling as sick as I was, it was a great contest!

73 and see you in WPX SSB.

Bill  W8QZA - W6QU  QRP