[3830] ARRLDX SSB P49Y(AE6Y) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB P49Y(AE6Y) SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2013 05:16:29 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: P49Y
Operator(s): AE6Y
Station: P49Y

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Aruba
Operating Time (hrs): 44
Radios: SO2R

  160:  209    43
   80:  569    57
   40:  935    58
   20: 2149    60
   15: 1974    59
   10: 1874    59
-------------------
Total: 7710   336  Total Score = 7,771,680

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Whew! That was a bit tougher than my last attempt, in 2011, mainly due to
greater noise.  The low bands, particularly 160, were quite noisy, and there
seems to be a new, local man-made source that periodically wipes out 15, with
lesser effects on 20 and 10. At one point on Sunday, I had to listen to 15 on
the beverages to try to reduce the noise.  The K3's NB actually did a pretty
good job, and amazingly didn't seem to cause any mushiness in the pileup.
  As compared to 2011, Qs are down by about 100 and mults by 7.  I must have
taken a bit more time off in frustration, as the average Qs per hour is the
same at 177.
  I really want to thank everyone who moved for me for a mult, including the
numerous guys who tried unsuccessfully. Particular mention to W1HI in RI for
two attempts from 80 to 160, VE8GER for two attempts from 10 to 20, and W0ND in
ND for two attempts from 20 to 80 in the last 20 minutes of the contest (in all
cases the second was successful); also to VE5SF for keeping a sked on 40 at
2350Z for a new mult, and to W3DQ for a sked to 160.  Without moves, my 160
total would be pretty pitiful.  In retrospect, though, I suspect that I may
have spent too much time on mults as a point of pride, since it's sometimes not
the best strategy to leave a high rate for a new mult (worth about 23 Qs).
  The most fun was had, surprisingly, on 20m.  This includes two starting hours
over 300, and also a delightful run of about 900 Qs starting at 2237Z on
Saturday, during which the pileup just kept on coming but was manageable, and I
never had to call CQ once.
  As usual,the social side of operating from Aruba continues to be a major
attraction, including visits with P43A/P43C (JP and Chris), P49MR/P49MRS
(Martin and Truus), P40V/P40YL (Carl and Sue), P43L/XYL (Lisandro and Lissette)
and P40P (Robert, W5AJ).
  Thanks are due to co-owner John, W6LD, and frequent visitor Ed, W0YK, for all
the station maintenance they did in February.  They did lots of outside
maintenance in the sun, including feedline repairs that required Ed on the
tower for hours and John at an outside soldering station.  The place always
looks shipshape after they leave, and finally, after 10 years, the balky lock
on the backdoor even slides like silk!
  Thanks also to all the W/VEs for their participation, including to quite a
few who made 5 and 6 banders this weekend.
  73, Andy, AE6Y, P49Y
Rig: K3 x2, Alpha 91B, 86
Ant: 2 el 10, 5 el 15, 4 el 20, 2 el 40, 1 el 80, vertical H on 160,
beverages.
Software: CQPWIN ver. 12.6