[3830] NA Sprint RTTY K6UFO(@W6YX) QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k6ufo@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] NA Sprint RTTY K6UFO(@W6YX) QRP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2013 13:17:46 -0700
                    NA Sprint RTTY Contest - March

Call: K6UFO
Operator(s): K6UFO
Station: W6YX

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 4
Radios: SO2R

   80:   24
   40:   57
   20:   75
---------------------

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Team: NCCC #1

Comments:

This is a great contest, but I had a hard time getting
to it. Getting to the shack was a train ride to get the
car, then the drive to Stanford. Then re-doing half the
setup, and testing just a few minutes before the start.

DXing had been keping the shack busy, but I managed to make
a RTTY SO2R set up. One radio good, the other had only
too-broad (2kHz) or too-narrow (250 Hz) filter - but I had
to manage.

Stanford's antennas are far enough apart I can use two radios
on the same band when QRP. Single-transmit lockout by the
microham box. As usual in a contest where there are Kilowatts
loose on the band, I did a lot of CQing, and not much winning
of the pileups.

20m was a great start, and while not a full two full hours,
the 90 minutes provided 75 QSOs. 20m was still wide open, but
most people had left except the half-dozen CQing Big Guns that
I had already worked.

40m was in good shape for still prior to sunset, but the rate
was slower. Still plenty of opportunities - just barely enough
oomph to make contacts. Also lots of confusion of who was
calling, whose frequency, two QSOs trying to use the same
frequency, people still sending out-of-order... I'm afraid this
will not be a Golden Log.

With only 40 minutes left I sucked it up and went to 80m.
Too early for 80m here, barely after sunset, but I managed two
dozen QSOs anyway. Lots of West Coasters - Thanks!

Overall, Great conditions and great participation! This is my
highest score yet, maybe a new QRP Record. Thanks for listening!

K6UFO MORK CA

W6YX Stanford University:
20m: 6 el yagi at 60 ft, 5 el at 40 ft
40m: 4 el at 60 ft, inverted vee at 50 ft.
80m: inverted vees at 50 ft
Two Yaesu FT-1000MPs turned down to 5 watts
Writelog, MMTTY, Microham u2R

QSO by hour and band.
       80M     40M     20M    Total   Cumm
00Z   ---+-   ---+-     46       46     46
01Z      -       8      29       37     83
02Z      -      39       -       39    122
03Z     24      10       -       34    156
Total:  24      57      75