[3830] Commonwealth C4Z(5B4AIZ) Open-24 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] Commonwealth C4Z(5B4AIZ) Open-24 HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 12:40:00 -0700
                    RSGB Commonwealth Contest

Call: C4Z
Operator(s): 5B4AIZ
Station: 5B4AIZ

Class: Open-24 HP
QTH: Mazotos
Operating Time (hrs): 24

------------
   80:   62
   40:  220
   20:  280
   15:  262
   10:  234
------------
Total: 1058  Total Score = 10,005

Club: Chiltern DX Club

Comments:

I guess band cndx must have been better but it didn't feel like anything special
except maybe that the higher bands closed later. Oceana was ok but I worked
quite a lot last year and Africa has been strange in recent weeks as, from this
location, we hear them on the two highest bands from band open to band closure.
Lately propagation from there has been patchy and sigs from the ZS' boys rather
weak. As usual nothing west of VE3 on 10mtrs and even the east coast was in and
out, mostly out. On 15 mtrs I did manage two VE7 apart from 1/2/3. I never
heard VE3EJ on 10mtrs and didn't complete the qso with him on 15mtrs, not to
make a 5 bander with John is unusual in recent years. Whatever my impressions
most guys found it better and records will be broken. It was certainly
noticeable from early on that guys I know to have less well equipped stns were
giving out higher numbers than in recent years. Asked for an explanation I
would say more northerly latitudes gained the propagation which we normally
enjoy.

Since I moved to Cyprus, coming up ten years ago, I have not used an amp in
contesting or dxing because I haven't needed one, usually being able to work
what is needed, but, mainly for contesting, my qth limitations do not allow me
to be competitive in any high power contest. Beru Rules place any stn with a
beam in the open class so this year I decided to use an amp.

How well did the change go? Mixed feelings - the 'q' count improved 20% but
that could have been due to conditions or more activity. Certainly the BCA's
jumped by a little more than 100% and that puzzles me, apart from 40 mtrs,
where I worked a few more VK's and VE 5/6/7 that I seldom reached before, I
don't recall anything different from the norm until I get time to Analise the
logs.

On the debit side my game plan went to pot, I didn't change bands often enough,
nor did I attempt to move people around until the latter stages, both for the
same reason, the sheer hassle of making band changes with a tube amp, some of
you may remember that! It took me until second day to realise I didn't really
need to use the amp to use the changed band and there wasn't a single time the
other guy did not hear me when I heard him also. You can become too focused and
overlook the obvious.

I didn't hear any morning vk/zl long path openngs on 80/40. There was a lovely
LP opening on 20mtrs from 0200z onwards (maybe started earlier) the only
problem being there were few stns at the 'other' end who were aware of it and I
raised only two ZL's that visit. I heard Messrs G4BUO, G4FAL & G4PIQ calling in
there, maybe they had more luck. That is really where the SO2R comes into it's
own. I don't have the required skill for SO2R in a busy contest, takes me all
my time to manage just one radio, but in Beru there can be lots of time. I take
occasional listens but where targets are few how cool to be able to call and
raise them whilst still adding contacts on a band which is more open. Sad for
me then that a tiny corner in a small lounge cannot accommodate any additional
equipment, so it will be carry on as usual!

I missed 16/18.00z slot for vk/zl on 40/80. It is a dilemma, 10/15 close here a
couple of hours before uk, the ve4/5/6/7 are/maybe due to come through (does
anybody ever hear a 4?) so I decided to stick with them until the bands died
down, hoping there maybe some lp from down under next morning. I did get the
full quota of 7's on 15m and just one 6, such a hard life in Cyprus!

40 mtrs was great, Africa apart, only 4 from there. The drawback on 40 was the
qrm. On other bands non beru stns mainly shut up when I said 'sri beru stns
only' but on 40 it was bad, including, surprisingly from Japan. I had a pile up
from there who were perhaps not hearing too well. I was amused earlier today
when I did a search of my call on DX Summit and saw one JA had  posted ' DEAF'

80 mtrs was a complete mess of static and man made noise. Apart from one
earlier qsy with vk2bj (which didn't happen) I didn't visit the band with
intent before 23z, as I remembered that Ukrainian contest from previous years
didn't finish until 23.00z, and that is one busy domestic contest with sigs
that are very strong (and wide) here. VE and Carrib were a hard struggle. I
recall last year how quiet was the band in the hour before sunrise with Dave
(J88) and Martin (ZF) and others booming in so loud I needed to look at the
radio again to make sure it was 80mtrs.

The travelers did a great job again, almost a full sweep of 5 banders, so
thanks to them and the great operating skills of our Commonwealth buddies which
make beru such a great and gentlemanly contest.

Eqp't TS570 - AL811.400w - 3 Ele yagi up 15m. - 40m Inv Vee dipolep
80m half sloper.
Open Section - 24hrs
Total QSO after dupes 1058.   BCA's 237     Total Points 10,005.