[3830] WiQP NE9U Multi-Op Mobile LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ne9u@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] WiQP NE9U Multi-Op Mobile LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 22:06:45 -0700
                    Wisconsin QSO Party

Call: NE9U
Operator(s): NE9U, KK9K, N9BCA
Station: NE9U

Class: Multi-Op Mobile LP
QTH: wi
Operating Time (hrs): 7

  160:
   80:  127
   40:  518     53
   20:  171
   15:    4
   10:
    6:
    2:
  UHF:
--------------------
Total:  820     53  Mults = 86  Total Score = 222,897.0

Club: Central Wisconsin Radio Amateurs

Comments:

A couple months ago, KK9K talked me into doing this as a multi-op with him and
my long time driver of 22 years (N9BCA).  The more we talked about it the
funner it sounded!  We ended up using KK9K's K2 radio and made some tweaks to
our normal  antenna system that ended up working pretty good!

As is normal tradition, we headed for the Northwoods Saturday afternoon so we
can get a steak dinner Saturday night.  Winter weather was already moving in,
but we had a snow/ice free trip for 150 of our 180 mile drive.  Last 30 miles
got a little slippery on good roads, so I was worried what awaited us when we
got on the Forest Roads that lead into my cabin.  Well, the Forest Roads were
very slippery, but we made it to cabin, turned the heat on and went back into
town to get food.  By the time we headed back to cabin, the Forest Roads had
turned to glare Ice and we failed in our first 5 attempts to get over the last
hill before the cabin.  So we got creative and backed up the last 1/2 mile to
get over the hill and into my driveway.  :-)  I guess pulling works better than
pushing.
Now.....we still had to get back out in the morning.  Luckily I was able to
find the town Sand-man's cell phone number and told him our problem.  Within an
hour he had the 4 mile road leading to my place sanded and we got out in time
for the start of the contest.  I'm gonna have to buy him a case of Point Beer!
Wish I could say the rest of the day was good driving, but it wasn't.  We
probably only drove 200 of our planned 350 mile trip.  And hit only 9 or our
planned 16 counties.  But we made it home safe and sound.

Before the contest we were able to confirm Florence County on 17 meters for
Vic, SM7DZI

But by only running 9 counties, we were able to dig deeper into the pileups and
our multiplier total was by far the best I've ever done in this contest.  And
our rate didn't seem to suffer.  Other than the bad hour 3 we had.  I noticed
the K2 was only putting out a few watts.  Ne9u/qrp!!!  Tried a few things on
the fly to no effect.  So we had to stop and disassemble and reassemble
everything.  Still didn't work!  Ohm meter on the coax showed that as OK, but
as a last resort we replaced it anyway.  And Voila!  We were in business
again!

Here is our rate report which shows that episode:

Hour 18:  110
Hour 19:  144
Hour 20:   59
Hour 21:  132
Hour 22:  121
Hour 23:  150
Hour 24:  157

Thanks to N9BCA for doing our excellent up-north adventure for about the 22nd
year in a row.  And thanks to KK9K for joining in the fun.  KK9K is scheduled
to be in Florida next winter, but he may have to fly back just for WQP!

73

Scott  NE9U
Ron  KK9K
Art N9BCA