[3830] ARRLDX SSB EF8R M/S LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ea8cac@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB EF8R M/S LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 04:27:57 -0700
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: EF8R
Operator(s): EA5FY,EA8ZS,EA8AH,EA8RM
Station: EF8R

Class: M/S LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 45

  160:   35    17
   80:  292    43
   40:  619    54
   20:  377    54
   15: 1009    59
   10: 1051    52
-------------------
Total: 3383   279  Total Score = 2,831,571

Club:

Comments:

This year decided to work M/S LP. EA5DY, EA8AH, EA8RM, EA8ZS made the team of
EF8R.
It has been a pre-alert of high winds during the week-end, but saturday was a
calm, nice day with decent pile-ups. Everything was going smoothly until sunday
afternoon!
We got a telephone call from Tenerife: "the storm is already here - watch out"!
Tenerife is only 100km west from our QTH, so we knew that in one hour the battle
will start!
1800Z the wind was so strong that we decided to winch down the masts (which
actually are trailers on wheels). This ofcourse made the SWR high and some
dificulties with the wire antennas.
2000Z came down the first mast, (160m USA). No problem, we were having good
pile-ups on 15m.
2100Z I went out to see the situation. I saw the big trailer lifting his leg! I
ran out and sit on top of the leg to prevent it to brake - and then the whole
trailer started to move down hill! I was actually riding on it with no driving
wheel though! Luckyly it stopped when banged against the other trailer 20m
downwards!
We all ran out to put big stones on the trailer legs not to turn over!
Meanwhile 80m and 40m wires were broken and we have only 15m yagi left. But
after 22Z no probagation - so we decided to call it off! Mother Nature had won
this time!
In the morning the summary was: from 17 antennas only 3 are operational!
The WPX SSB will be in three weeks! That means busy days here in the Magic
Mountain!
Anyway - See You in next contest!

Pekka EA8AH