[3830] Rus DX K5GN(@W5KU) SO CW HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, mccarty@hal-pc.org
Subject: [3830] Rus DX K5GN(@W5KU) SO CW HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2013 07:06:13 -0700
                    Russian DX Contest

Call: K5GN
Operator(s): K5GN
Station: W5KU

Class: SO CW HP
QTH: Texas
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

  160:    19    0        11         1
   80:    56    0        32         2
   40:   445    0        70        43
   20:   247    0        67        42
   15:   365    0        69        32
   10:   114    0        49         6
Total:  1246    0       298       126  Total Score = 2,655,512

Club:

Comments:

At times, terrific, but mostly difficult, and brutal after 06Z.  Too bad the sun
had to rain on the parade with multiple CME's - condx were terrific for days
before the contest.

Seemed that the curtain was down at and after sunrise when 20 and 15 should
have been open to U-land.  20 didn't open until after sunrise and signals were
down.  Some LP was there, but not enough for rate. There was propagation from
here on 10 and 15 but it stopped mid-Europe until too late.  Probably should
have hunkered down on 15 for better rate, but 10 was tantalizing.  Sounded like
fun up east.  10 and 15 got better when it was only western Europe but 20 was
absorbed.

40 was quite good when I got there an hour before sunset.  Lots of mults on 20m
after dark with short spotty openings, but not open wide for rate.  Kept so busy
on 40 and 20 that forgot to go early to 80.  By the time I got there the eastern
opening was over - no oblasts to the east.  Only one European mult on 160.  A
tough slog after 0600 with the arrival of the big CME, though it was nice that
it waited until after European sunrise.  Then 20m went completely dead.  40m
stayed open to the west but all sigs were way down.  80 and 160 only had big
guns and W/VE.

Tale of the K indices, 12Z - 12Z
Fredericksburg  ....2211 2155....,  8/16
Boulder         ....2312 1165...., 12/20
College         ....3211 1067...., 13/31
Planetary       ....2212 2165...., 10/33

Still a great weekend on the air and a bunch of lessons learned.

Mults include a bunch of "Not in contest" QSOs which I think may not pass
muster with the Russian log checkers.  It was a treat to work my good friend
Juma on 20m working from A71A.  Worked KH2/N2NL on six bands.  No six-band
oblasts, only on 5-bander (HK, 80-10).  Six-band countries: W, VE, JA, UA0,
KH2, VK, DL.

Rate, including dupes and busts:
12  56  56
13  101  45