[3830] EA RTTY W0YK SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ed@w0yk.com
Subject: [3830] EA RTTY W0YK SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2013 09:17:03 -0700
                    EA RTTY Contest

Call: W0YK
Operator(s): W0YK
Station: W0YK

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 3

   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:  87     49
   10:   6      5
-------------------
Total:  93     54  Total Score = 7,668

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

I was able to operate 3 hours, mainly to exercise WriteLog 11.10G and compare
2Tone with MMTTY.

Many signals were weak for me and many were in the noise floor.  MMTTY often
could not copy a single character, while 2Tone give perfect copy except on the
initial portion of the transmission.  The comparison was dramatic.

Operationally, I was a complete LID much of the time with my messages not
coming out as I intended.  The biggest issue was my S&amp;P exchange which sent
my callsign message instead.  Then, when I went to keyboard mode in a rush to
manually type my exchange, the proper S&amp;P exchange would come out, simply
by invoking keyboard mode.  I was never able to figure that out, particularly
since the S&amp;P exchange would come out OK sometimes.

Less frustrating was the erratic message chaining which often would not work.
In the beginning of the session, moving to the sub-RX put TX into SPLIT as
expected but then locked in SPLIT even when going back to the main receiver.
Rebooting the radio seemed to fix that.  Other annoyances were delayed printing
and missing the first characters by 2Tone plus the lack of pacing and syncing of
the transmitted printed text with the actual transmitted characters.

Thanks to those who tolerated my QLFness!

Ed W0YK