[3830] MiQP K8MAD/TUSC(K8MM) Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] MiQP K8MAD/TUSC(K8MM) Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 14:00:10 -0700
                    Michigan QSO Party

Call: K8MAD/TUSC
Operator(s): K8MM
Station: K8MAD/TUSC

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: TUSC
Operating Time (hrs): 4

   80:   63     28
   40:   79     58
   20:    9      3
   15:
   10:
--------------------
Total:  151     89  CW Mults = 56  Ph Mults = 47  Total Score = 40,170

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Part duex â?&quot; TUSCOLA County.....

I took the cross country route (is there and other?) from SANI to TUSC finding
that there were a few detours and road closures from all the flooding we've
been experiencing in the 'Thumb' of Michigan. Upon arriving in Millington, MI I
found the park I was looking for and did a quick drive around to find a good
spot to hang the G5RV. My search located two tall white pine trees the perfect
height and distance apart. After two quick shots with my sling shot I had my
support ropes in the trees, tied to the antenna and pulled it up into the
trees. This time the wind was blocked by a nice wooded area of tall pines and I
wasn't freezing by the time I hopped back in to the car to operate.

I turned on the radio and put the first qso from TUSC into the log at 22:10z. I
was pleased that I only had 45 minutes of off the air time between counties
especially after a pit stop for gas. I started S&amp;P on 40M SSB and after
having to explain to three different stations that I was in a new county and
was NOT a dupe I decided it would be best to call CQ and say I was now in TUSC.
I had a nice 40 minute run and it was starting to slow down when N4PN asked me
to qsy to 20M SSB where we worked and then we did a quick QSY to 20 CW and
worked again. A quick QRZ from me netted a NU7 then DL2HBX. Uli and I worked on
CW then we QSYed to SSB where we put each other in the log again. Nobody else
called on SSB so back to my 20M CW frequency for a few more q's when a K0
worked and moved me to 14.151 where we worked again. Then several other
stations were calling and it quickly became apparent they weren't calling me
but were trying to work K8MR/????. After the pile-up had cleared Jim was barely
audible and I gave him a call or two but I knew he wouldn't hear me, so off to
40M CW.

On 40 CW I did a quick S&amp;P sweep then found a place to call CQ. I worked a
couple stations then the dx cluster pile-up came. Uli made it into the log
again with a lot of other out of state MQP regulars. I ran that frequency for
an hour and put roughly 90 more guys in the log on 40 CW. By this time it was
getting really close to sunset and things had slowed down and 40 had gone long
so it was time to QSY to 80M.

I went to 80M CW and found that it wasn't really busy yet so a CQ frequency was
easy to find. After a couple of CQ's a DL0 answered me followed by a couple more
guys, then I hit the dx cluster and the pile-up came in force. I cranked up the
keyer speed ala K8MR and worked the pile down thanks to some really great ops
on the other end. The time was now 00:30z and I had tentatively planned to pack
up and leave by 01z so it was time to head to SSB. On 80 phone I did a quick
sweep of the band looking for MQP stations between all of the 'pig farmers' and
finally found a place that I could call CQ. I parked up 3 KHz from another MQP
station and got to work. I stayed there for 20 minutes but never did seem to
hit the dx cluster and things had slowed down and now I was only 10 minutes
away from my self imposed deadline of 01Z. I looked at my qso total and noticed
I was getting close to my qso total of 240 q's from SANI so I decided to leave
when I reached that mark. After another 40 minutes of flopping back and forth
between 80 CW and SSB I reached my goal and it was 01:30z and time pack up. I
got out of the car and realized that I left my headlamp at the house and not
wanting to draw attention to myself by turning on my car headlights, I just
packed up using the light from the moon. After a half hour of clean up it was
time to head back to my home station in GENE where I would finish out the
contest using my own call â?&quot; K8MM.

Interesting score numbers...same # of qso's - 240

        QSO'S   MULTS   SCORE         QSO'S  CW     SSB
SANI     240     120    42,240               112    128
TUSC     240     103    40,170               151     89

to be continued in my K8MM post...