[3830] SPDX RTTY K4GMH SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k4gmh@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] SPDX RTTY K4GMH SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2013 06:26:21 -0700
                    SPDX RTTY Contest

Call: K4GMH
Operator(s): K4GMH
Station: K4GMH

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: VA
Operating Time (hrs): 18
Radios: SO2R

   80:    3     3
   40:  244    56
   20:  491    72
   15:  373    67
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total: 1111   198  Continents = 6  Total Score = 11,643,588

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Thanks to all who participated and, especially, to those who I had the pleasure
of working in the Contest.

Biggest pleasant surprise of the Contest was seeing a once very familiar call
show up on the screen, K5DJ!  Welcome back big Ron.

Good turn out of the SP stations in the Contest.  Was able to work all the SP
provinces on 20 and 15.  Missed &quot;W&quot; and &quot;S&quot; for a clean
sweep on 40.

The combo of running both MMTTY and 2 Tone definitely was a benefit.  The
combination eliminated a lot of ambiguity when one would copy the number or
call two slightly different ways using on MMTTY or 2 Tone.  Usually 2 Tone
would get the number/call correct.  MMTTY seemed to lock on to the signal a bit
faster than 2 Tone.  Maybe MMTTY's AFC is faster at slewing to the signal than 2
Tone?  2 Tone was better with last nights 40 meter conditions.

Speaking of &quot;conditions&quot;, 20 meters had to be open all night for the
East Coast USA to Europe and other parts of the World.  When I stopped for the
night at 0600Z, 20 was still open to Europe, Asia, Africa, SA and Oceania.  Had
no problem of working a European station on 40 meters and then work the same
station on 20 meters at 0500Z.  Also, the Asian stations were strong so was a
pleasure to keep going even though too tired to fully appreciate it at the
time.  Fortunately, 20 took the place of 80 as a late night band (East Coast
USA) as too much QRN on 80 to hear most of the European stations that were
spotted.

An interesting aspect of the Contest for me was using the full load of RTTY
skimmer spots from DL4RCK.  Seeing what the other parts of the world is hearing
was a learning experience for me.  Normally I set the filter to just see the DX
spotted by USA stations and RTTY skimmers that come from Mark's, N2QT, node.
However, before the Contest, Mark sent an e-mail letting me know he was having
problems with his internet provider getting the connection fully working. He
suggested using DL4RCK's output.  Good choice for this Contest.  The most
benefit for me being able to see all the RTTY spots was when I went from 15
meters to 40 meters; I could see where the European stations calling CQ were
located on 40 meters.  Usually I would have to guess where to start on 40
meters.  Several times in the past, as the propagation would improve to Europe
during the early evening, I would start to hear a European station also using
the same freq.  This time seeing all the 40 meter spots from DL4RCK allowed me
to attempt to find a freq. where I wouldn't eventually end up interfering
another station once the propagation path improved.

Again, thanks to all who participated in the Contest and were kind enough to
work me.  Hope to see you in the next one.  How about it big Ron?

  73,
  Mike, K4GMH