[3830] NewEngQP N1EN M/S LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, mda@n1en.org
Subject: [3830] NewEngQP N1EN M/S LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 5 May 2013 20:16:52 -0700
                    New England QSO Party

Call: N1EN
Operator(s): N1EN
Station: N1EN

Class: M/S LP
QTH: HARCT
Operating Time (hrs):
Radios: SO2R

   80:     69        3
   40:    179       16
   20:    180       18
   15:     50        5
   10:      6        0
------------------------
Total:    484       42  Mults = 65  Total Score = 65,650

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Station:

Radios: K3 (with FCDPro+ for panadapter use), IC7000
Antennas: 80m Carolina Windom @ 60ft, 160m Carolina Windom @ 25-45ft, 40m delta
loop
Software: N1MM

Well that was interesting and fun.

Assorted thoughts in no particular order:

I must remember to not work NV or WY in the 7QP until after NEQP starts.  I've
made that mistake the two prior years -- getting NV and WY in the log for 7QP,
and not finding new ones to work after 4pm.

I really need to cure my chronic preference of S&amp;Ping in other contests.
NEQP would be rather boring for a 1-land station to just S&amp;P in...and my
lack of practice in calling CQ really shows.  (The list of folks I ought to
apologize to is rather long...)

This weekend marked my first dabbling into SO2R.  I'm not really set up to do
SO2R -- I just have two radios on the desk, a controller or common
mic/audio/key -- but the recent addition of a new antenna and some manual
antenna switches finally make it somewhat viable to experiment.  I can see the
appeal...and I can see the need for a gadget to handle key and audio
switching.

A couple of weeks ago, I finally did something about my issues with 40 meters
(40m is incredibly noisy on the 80m CW, and the 160m CW is a cloud-warmer), by
putting up a 40m delta loop.   This was my first time using it &quot;in
anger&quot;. Much, much better.   I still wish I had a stack of beams...but
that's not going to happen at this QTH.

Mr. Murphy did pay two brief visits to the logging software.  Shifting the log
to a fresh new database and deleting the ini / rebuilding the ini file from
scratch appeased the gremlins for now.

When the dust settled, I found that I had almost doubled my claimed score from
last year, at least according to the logger's tally. Given that some contacts
Saturday evening did double-duty with the other contests....

Thanks for the Q's; CU in WPX CW.