[3830] WPX CW VE9AA SOSB15 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WPX CW VE9AA SOSB15 HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 26 May 2013 17:10:35 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: VE9AA
Operator(s): VE9AA
Station: VE9AA

Class: SOSB15 HP
QTH: NB
Operating Time (hrs): 24:41

------------
  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------

Club: Maritime Contest Club

Comments:

IC-7410 - N1MM - 40m wire ground plane, used on 15m band ...
Miserable Condx !

Random thoughts from VE9AA (Mike) in NB:

-Aurora Ovals are not conducive to high scores on 15m from up here when running
cloud warmer antennas. Should've chosen 40m or 80m single band.
-No, my call is NOT VE8AA ! (no matter how many times you send VE8AA 5NN NR##
-First hour = 40 Q's....sad ;-( (and I was really digging)  Friday night is
done.  Turn off rig. (edit; looking back this was actually a GOOD hour)
-AFter the first hour, band shut down (was it even open?).  Go watched TV for a
bit.
-OK, Saturday morning. Raining and windy like crazy. Breakfast in me. Coffee
delicious (1/2 flavored mixed with 1/2 regular) and raring and ready to go.
-Local time 7:15am. Sun been up a long while. I bet I missed a lot.  Band must
be full. Oops, squeak out 2 Q's (barely) with Carib stns.  Go back
and watch TV and surf the net for a while.
-It's depressing hearing serial numbers in excess of 1100 come back at you when
you have 47 Q's in the log. They sound like they're having fun.
-First &quot;EU/AF&quot; - a CR3 (use your imagination) stn in the log....it's
7:30am local.  Sunrise was 5:45am. This is an uphill battle. UFF
-I am not sure what's worse, the intense rain and wind outside my window or the
dismal signals that aren't even moving the S-Meter in front of me.
-Hey, looky here -No problem whatsoever to find a place to call CQ ! (not that
anyone is coming back to me, but shack is warming nicely and F1 key is nicely
broken-in)
-My call is not AE9AA and no matter how many times you ask me for my NR (like 8
times) I am not giving it to you until you correct my call !
-(this was bordering on farcical, as they thought I was sending 4911(or
something) for my NR to them, when 'all' I was ever sending was VE9AA.....Yes,
I gave up and moved on)
-I've reached 100 Q's....normally this would not even BE a milestone.  Today,
it sadly is.  Harumph.
-Why am I doing this again? Oh yeah....it's fun and there's no choice, other
than to perhaps build an Ark.
-This feels like a VHF contest or a 10m contest at the bottom of the cycle.  I
thought 15m would be a SMART choice. Oh, how wrong I was.
-I don't wanna brag but I saw the rate meter hit over 20Q's an hour once.  Whew
! Cold sweat. &lt;tic&gt; &lt;G&gt;
-I've now finished reading the novel &quot;War and Peace&quot; in between my
CQ's.
-I am convinced there is a plot against me and every single person on 15m is in
RUN mode.
-Any insulation that may have been left on my wire ground plane is now nicely
melted off, for sure. uh-huh. Yup.
-I wonder if my tree holding the ground plane has blown over and is now laying
deep in the ravine?
-I've just CQ'd for about 8 minutes straight and finally made a QSO.
Unfortunately, this isn't the worst it's been today. I may have fallen asleep
earlier during other slow periods and not made good notes as to the length of
times between QSO's.(doh!)
-Triple checked--yes, I am on the right antenna....Nope, I do not have 70dB of
attenuation in line. Yes, tree still standing. Hmmm
-K3LR is *just* audible on backscatter most of the day. (but should be 559 or
thereabouts)
-And a few certain guys in W4 whine about disparity in contests, due to
location. Come on up here dude ! It is to laugh. SERIOUSLY.  Ever heard of the
Auroral Zone?
-Haven't worked a single Scandanavian yet today and only 1 Russian.  Betcha
those guys have it at least as bad.
-Aha! A Swede worked.  Good show.  And he was loud.  Just the one.  Strange
condx.
-There *IS* a contest this weekend, right?
-ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
-Took a couple hour-long breaks, if not only to break the boredom, while 15m
was open. ('open' being a subjective term being used here ya understand).
-It was either that or stick toothpicks under my eyelids to keep me from
nodding off.
-Muchos Gracias Jose, EA7KW (in disguise) Nice to work you guys.
-9 hours and 17 minutes to break 100k pts.....oh,just  how embarrasing is THAT
?
-I am wondering if having a tooth pulled out (like earlier this week) or
running 15m with a GP during an Aurora is more painful ?
-C4Z - Thanks for the Q Brian. Always nice to hear you come barreling in
through here !!!
-Oooh. A W7 !  I think that might be my first one and it's supper time.  IIRC,
I worked only 1 or 2 W6's last night and a single VE7....the outlook is bleak.
-A couple DECENT hours before and after supper. (1 hour break for supper)  .
Mostly USA, some really strong stations. Few 6's and no Pacific.
-I bet everyone is crammed into 20m like canned sardines..  I took one spin
through 10m earlier and it was more bleak than even 15m is.
-Aha! Worked my friends at KH6LC,(Hi Fred!) although about 2 notches above ESP
(Good ears guys, Mahalo, eh!)
-Can hear KL7RA but can't really get Richs' attn. A cpl QRZ's and once a
&quot;VE3??&quot;...no dice. Too weak to pass a serial # even if he did ID me.
A bit past sunset now....oh well.
-Hit the pit. Sleep comes easily.  I swear I can still hear my CQ in my head.
-Sunday morning.  Fresh outlook.  Things will be better Mike (I tell myself).
How could things get worse? Sun is up 5:44am !
-I think there must still be an Aurora going on.  I tune across the entire
bottom part of 15m and only hear HK1R, who is actually L-O-U-D ~!
-It's now 8:41am and I've made my first contact of the day. Surely, watching
grass grow would be more entertaining. haha-- I have heard stations before now
but all folks who I struggled to work yesterday and are already in the log. I
just heard one EU, but soooo gosh darn dishwater weak, there's less than no
chance they'll hear me.  2m EME CW sigs off the moon are usually louder.
Sometimes having a very quiet QTH can be humbling.  Very weak stns CQ in your
face.
-Shame it's raining outside and everything on TV is in reruns.
-Why is it: You send your 4 digit Serial # to me ONCE @ 45 wpm and you cannot
copy mine (3 digit) back to you multiple times @ 29wpm?
-Scratch and claw for every QSO. . . .thankfully I seldom run QRP ! (hats off
to those guys trying 10 &amp; 15m QRP this weekend)
-~ZZyawnZZ~...why am I doing this again? Oh yeah, there's a contest on. (where
is everyone?)
-SMILE, Rich@ KL7RA just called me.  Hows that for putting a smile on my face?
Woo-Hoo!  Thanks Buddy :-)
-if you pulse tune your amp on my QRG when I am calling CQ, then call me once
you've tuned up for the past 3 minutes, I can tell. (and am not impressed-not
even a little)
-Thanks to W4TV for modeling my 15m antenna (*a 40m GP) and confirming it's
reeeally not a good DX antenna. Oh dear.
-One 4 letter Brazilian station had major clicks and thumps.  A couple times I
tried to work stations within a 5-6kHz swath of him (either side) and got
totally wiped out.
-It  was bordering on ridiculous when once I was working a W7 about 1kHz below
him and he came down and sent AS AS AS (the symbol is ._. . .  by the way
Amigo)
As if to say &quot; I want a huge chunk of spectrum all to myself and you must
not transmit near me ! (I wonder if some of these guys know they are 10-12kcs
wide or wider?)
-Sounds like all complaints but had a good time regardless.
-ES9C calls in with less than an hour to spare. I am sure in the wee hours of
the morning over there. WOW - what a 15m signal.

See you in the Maritime QSO Party next weekend.

Mike VE9AA, eh
73 de Mike VE9AA