[3830] WPX CW VE7XF SOAB(TS) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WPX CW VE7XF SOAB(TS) HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 27 May 2013 17:46:22 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: VE7XF
Operator(s): VE7XF
Station: VE7XF

Class: SOAB(TS) HP
QTH: near Vancouver
Operating Time (hrs): 31

------------
  160:    1
   80:    0
   40:  207
   20:  519
   15:  249
   10:   22
------------
Total:  998  Prefixes = 531  Total Score = 1,517,598

Club: Orca DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Bad luck with all that aurora, eh?
Overall, I'm not unhappy with my results, considering that I took lots of
breaks (mostly from boredom) and operated mostly S&amp;P. I couldn't get any
decent runs going. Maybe the replies were hidden in the aurora and the QRN.

Quite a few Eu on 20m here on Saturday, unlike VA7ST, who must have been too
close to the auroral curtain. 40 was more productive than usual, providing many
mults from the Pacific in the mornings, up to two hours past sunrise. The au had
pretty much closed 20m to Europe anyway.
The usual problems with local QRN, to the point that 80m was unusable.

Fun on 20m, working almost everybody with the beam to the north - the Europeans
with lots of aurora, and the pacific and NA stations with none. It often didn't
make a lot of difference where the beam was pointed, and I did try, to the
extent that my rotator needs a new meter pot. I'm surprised that the neighbours
haven't yet complained about the brake clanking at all hours :-)

15m finally opened to Eu on Sunday, and stayed open for quite a while.
Not much on 10m from anywhere.
Nothing from Africa, either, with the exception of CN and 6V7.
Quite a few YTs, all with big signals.

One only hopes that the SSN has been high enough to provide some decent F2 this
winter, especially on 6m.

K3, AL-1200, 3el Steppir, wires. (Secret weapon: Elecraft P3)

Ralph, VE7XF