[3830] WPX CW VC7M(@VE7UF) M/M HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jimsmith@shaw.ca
Subject: [3830] WPX CW VC7M(@VE7UF) M/M HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 02:35:55 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: VC7M
Operator(s): VE7JH VE7KW VE7FO VE7ACN VA7DX VE7UF
Station: VE7UF

Class: M/M HP
QTH: cOURTENAY bc
Operating Time (hrs): 48

------------
  160:   48
   80:  319
   40:  797
   20: 1402
   15:  868
   10:   88
------------

Club: Orca DX and Contest Club

Comments:

I was glad to host another WPX CW M/M for 2013.  All of the station's operators
were experienced UF veterans except  Keith, VE7KW, who we were glad to have for
the first time.  The station is getting closer to being rightfully in the M/M
class now that there are 6 operating positions.  We found there is a big
advantage in not having to change bands often.  The 160 and 80 positions are
close together which provides an easy SO2R operating mode so one operator can
handle both stations during the always slow second night.  Special thanks go to
VE7JH for donating and installing 3 more computers with accessories and VE7KW
for paying the after-contest restaurant bill.  The station can always use more
operators with deep pockets.

The bands were poor especially during the first day, which was very
disappointing after the great conditions we had last year. We had very
undesirable solar crowbar protection against any EU Qs the first day.  The
second day was much better but we were not able to run EU on 15. We didn't work
many JAs on 15 either and 10 was only good for deprecation - a write-off.  Too
bad the rules don't allow it so the northern stations could be more
competitive.-  A nice surprise was fast drop in the noise level the second
night during the JA grayline that provided a short run of JAs on 80. It also
helped the 40 performance.  From the other postings I've seen our score seems
to be standing tall in Canada and CQ zone 3.  I know there can still be
surprises but hope is hanging high here.  Thanks goes to all the operators who
were continuously all-out in this one.

Jim,VE7FO, ran into an amusing occurrence.  He noticed a very recent spot for
an Oceania station.  Being a mult, he jumped right on it.  One call does it.
The station responds with 5NN then silence.  Jim, not knowing what to do, calls
him again.  Same thing - 5NN followed by silence.  As it didn't look like a
serial number would be forthcoming he stopped calling but listened for a bit.
Several callers got the same treatment but they completed the Q as if the S/N
had been sent.  One caller sent &quot;NR?&quot;  The astonishing response was
&quot;0&quot;.  Jim, emboldened by the foregoing called again and received
&quot;QSO B4&quot;.  So, it's in our log with S/N of 1.

Our thanks go to all that called.

Duane VE7UF