[3830] AlQP K5YAA/M SOMixed HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k5yaa@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] AlQP K5YAA/M SOMixed HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2013 10:25:03 -0700
                    Alabama QSO Party

Call: K5YAA/M
Operator(s): K5YAA
Station: K5YAA

Class: SOMixed HP
QTH: 12 Counties
Operating Time (hrs): 11.5

  160:    0      0
   80:   10      0
   40:  352      4
   20:  234     38
   15:   40      2
   10:   17      1
--------------------
Total:  653     45  CW Mults = 48  Ph Mults = 19  Total Score = 90,517

Club: Oklahoma DX Association

Comments:

First - Alabama is a beautiful state.  Lush green everywhere and FB roads.  I
enjoyed my visit and appreciate the sponsors of the AQP.

Next - I got started 30 mins late due to a misunderstanding with N1MM.  Seems
it forgot my CW set up for the AQP and I had to redo from memory which took
quite a while considering my memory nowadays.  Got going after a half hour and
the crowds were there all the way to CLAY county which was the last one I
worked. 40 meters was the big band for the last 4 hours of the contest.  250 of
my 352 40 meter Qs were made in the last 5 counties of Taladega, Calhoun,
Cleburne, Randolph and Clay.  1 20 meter Q was made in those counties!

Of special note was the 7 hard earned Qs made with N6MU in CA.  John has to
work especially hard to work the eastern part of the country so I want to
recognize his tenacity!  W0BH was everywhere.  I worked him on every band CW
and SSB except for 80 SSB and that was because I didn't go there.  10 meters
was open with big signals but few people showed.  15 was likewise open with big
signals but small showings there too. YV5OIE made 17 Qs with me.  His signal was
stout and he broke the pile up several times even on 40 meters.  There were many
familiar call signs that I worked. Thanks for all the QSOs and for following me
around the state.

I was sitting in Fayette county and along comes a pick up truck with dual big
sticks in the bed of the truck.  Turns out it was N4ZZ blowing by.  I looked
around the bands and found him on 40 meters warbling - I thought he would be
strong but the signal was actually rather weak for such close quarters.  I
worked ZZ in several counties after that.

No problems other than a 20 amp fuse blew every once in a while on the
accessory jack feeding my GPS and laptop.  I had to replace it 3 times during
the day.  I have installed a new battery in the laptop so don't know why the
fuse continues to blow.  If anyone has an idea ( 2006 Dodge Caravan ) I would
appreciate hearing from you.

I almost cooked one of my generators in Jefferson county.  Placed the rain/snow
cover on backwards and the exhaust window was reversed causing the generator to
exhaust into the plastic cover - actually burnt a hole in the plastic.  Swapped
generators after the one quit running due to heat and made sure I put the cover
on the right way!  The rest of the day was OK except for all the road
construction along Interstate 20.  Really torn up causing slow going at times.

Missed the Dakotas as usual and no Montana, Hawaii or Alaska.  Worked 45 states
and 3 Canadian provinces VE1, VE3, VE5 and VE7.  Pretty good turn out.  Had 17
QSOs with Mississippi which is 17 more than I had with Mississippi in the
Florida QSO Party!  No MS mult in the FQP.  Go figure.

Thats about all my report.  Again thanks to the sponsors of the AQP.  I enjoyed
the trip through the state and all the QSOs.