[3830] ARRL June VHF W3SO Limited Multi-Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w3idt@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF W3SO Limited Multi-Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2013 13:46:52 -0700
                    ARRL June VHF QSO Party

Call: W3SO
Operator(s): WR3Z W3IDT W3BC W3TM WA3TTS W3YOZ K4VV
Station: W3SO

Class: Limited Multi-Op HP
QTH: WPA
Operating Time (hrs): 24

    6:  272    69
    2:  269    58
  222:   93    41
  432:  148    50
  903:
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  782   218  Total Score = 223,014

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

West-Central PA (FN00) was NOT the place to be for this contest.
With a smart-phone as a &quot;Hot Spot&quot;, we were able to watch the
real-time 50Mhz propagation across the US:

Big (tropo?) East Coast opening?
     Only worked into SC.
Big opening to the Maritime and VY0 areas?
     Worked two stations in ME.
Big east to west opening across the center part of the country?
     We were 300 or so miles too far north.
Huge opening to the North-West?
     Nothing worked north-west of southwestern KS.

Positive highlights:
50MHz laser Eskip into OK: Worked most of the grids in OK: At one qso / grid.
Worked the same rover in two grids in southwestern KS.
2nd hop landed in southwestern AZ: 2 qsos, 2 grids.
A couple of TX qsos and grids.

220 and 432 had their usual excellent results; our score tends to come from
them. 144 captained the passes, especially hard since the usual crowd in OH,
MI, and IL couldn't be heard on 50MHz; many stations worked on 144/220/432 but
not on 50Mhz.

On a sad note: Long time W3SO team (&quot;Wopsononock Mountaintop
Operators&quot;) member Roy, W3TEF, passed away just before the weekend. Some
of the W3SO team went to the funeral on Monday.