[3830] IARU N3BB SO CW HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] IARU N3BB SO CW HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2013 15:44:31 +0000
                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: N3BB
Operator(s): N3BB
Station: N3BB

Class: SO CW HP
QTH: STX
Operating Time (hrs): 3.0
Radios: SO2R

  160:    0     0       0       0
   80:    8     0       3       0
   40:  142     0      16       6
   20:   99     0      14       7
   15:  132     0      12       8
   10:    6     0       3       3
-------------------------------------

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

This was the first time I've gotten into a non-sprint-format contest (NA Sprint
and the Thursday NS Ladder) with the intent of operating seriously for periods
of time since my wife's stroke in late 2011. I worked on the station (upgraded
the prehistoric DOS 486 to a W-98 Dell Optiplex P3 to run TR very well) and got
three antenna problems fixed (3 element 40 yagi, 2 element 40 yagi, and 5
element lower 15 yagi, all with help). I mainly found a frequency, and called
CQ. Of course I was fresh meat, and so that helped the rates, but it was fun to
try and remap the SO2R moves and knock off second radio contacts during the
runs. The conditions in the day were a real slog, but night times were
sparkling with crisp propagation. All in all, it was fun, and I found myself
sending lots of first names to acknowledge friends and to say hello. All was
fun, and the station played well. Hopefully I will be able to get back into (at
least) some CW contesting, my first love in this hobby. Congrats to the serious
guys and the terrific numbers. 73, Jim N3BB