[3830] NAQP RTTY W6YX M/2 LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k6ufo@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] NAQP RTTY W6YX M/2 LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2013 19:25:25 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, RTTY - July

Call: W6YX
Operator(s): K6UFO N6DB W6LD ND2T W6RK KZ2V
Station: W6YX

Class: M/2 LP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 12

   80:   50    13
   40:  165    44
   20:  376    52
   15:  273    49
   10:   34    16
-------------------
Total:  898   174  Total Score = 156,252

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Team:

Comments:

July? Always tough going on the low bands for NAQP, but we gave it a try.

First we tied our left hands behind our backs by by having the air conditioning

broken, so a little hotter than comfortable for the afternoon. We survived.

Then we tied our right hands behind our backs by using N1MM for the first time

in our multi-ops (we have used Writelog last 9 years). A few quirks, one
restart required, but mostly people thought it worked fine. When everyone and
everything was in-sync - it worked smoothly. When we flubbed a click or needed
a repeat - a lot rougher.

N6DB bravely decided to start on 10m for at least our first 10-minute limit on

band changes. He got all our 10m QSOs and Mults in those first two hours. And
despite keeping a spotting receiver and panadapter on 10m, we never saw
anything to bring us back to 10m again.

15m and 20m were the money-bands, and provided essentially the same QSOs as
last July, but fewer Mults. Best one-hour rate in the 3rd hour on 15m and 20m.

15m eventually turned far west, and we went to 40m more than two hours before
our sunset. 40m was more difficult than usual, the flutter or fading made
decoding much worse than our past experiences. The same unsettled conditions
and decoding problems on 80m. 40m and 80m provided less QSOs and less Mults
than last July and required a lot of operator effort.

At times we had only two operators, but usually three or four, so we could keep

searching the bands while the two transmitters ran. The operators were first
class: adapting to new software, poor conditions, high temperatures and other
problems with only minor outbursts of salty language... Thanks guys!

We made 1,000 QSOs last July, but we felt lucky to approach 900 this July.
Its always fun to see the familiar calls and names on the air, so thank you for

the contacts!

...for the W6YX team, de K6UFO

W6YX Stanford University :
Tribanders: Force 12 C-31XR at 60ft, Mosley Pro-67 at 40 ft
10m: 6 el yagi at 70 ft, 5 el yagi at 30 ft
15m: 6 el yagi at 70 ft, 5 el yagi at 25 ft
20m: 6 el yagi at 60 ft, 5 el yagi at 36 ft
40m: 4 el yagi at 60 ft, inverted vee at 50 ft
80m: inverted vees at 50 ft
Beverage receiving antennas
Yaesu FT-1000MP, MkV, MkV, Elecraft K3 and Panadapter
N1MM, MMTTY and 2Tone software

QSOs by hour and band
Hour     3_5    7      14     21     28    Hour     Cumm
18       0      0      0      66     17    83       83
19       0      0      27     50     14    91       174
20       0      0      62     51     0     113      287
21       0      0      50     27     3     80       367
22       0      0      62     20     0     82       449
23       0      0      27     20     0     47       496
0        0      3      36     30     0     69       565
1        0      12     39     9      0     60       625
2        0      33     36     0      0     69       694
3        0      46     34     0      0     80       774
4        27     41     3      0      0     71       845
5        23     30     0      0      0     53       898
Tot      50     165    376    273    34    898      898