[3830] CQWW VHF VA7ST SOSB/6 LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW VHF VA7ST SOSB/6 LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2013 04:37:48 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide VHF Contest

Call: VA7ST
Operator(s): VA7ST
Station: VA7ST

Class: SOSB/6 LP
QTH: DO00
Operating Time (hrs): 2.5

    6:  27     17
    2:
-------------------
Total:  27     17  Total Score = 459

Club: Orca DX and Contest Club

Comments:

* Steppir 3-element plus passive (27' AGL)
* 100W FT-2000

Spent 2.5 hours on Sunday over three sessions looking around and calling, all
CW. Not a lot of activity in the northwest, as the open path from here was
almost due south (requiring southerners to look due north). Still, had enough
callers to make things interesting for the times I was on. Wish the band had
been open to the midwest, though.

About an hour in, I decided to try tweaking the 3+1 element 6M SteppIR per
K6SGH's modifications. I don't know how much better the antenna is with these
dimensions, but I worked a lot more stations after the change than I did before
them.

http://www.k6sgh.com/antennas/steppir%20study.htm

SWR went up from 1:1.2 to 1:2.0 or so, but the FT-2000 tuner readily got things
down to 1:1.2 allowing full 100W output.

Thanks for the contacts and for looking north.

-- Bud VA7ST

      QSOs  Mults   Score   Hrs
2013:   27     17     459   2.5
2012:   13      9     117   1.0