[3830] IOTA VE9AA SO12CW HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] IOTA VE9AA SO12CW HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2013 12:22:16 +0000
                    IOTA Contest

Call: VE9AA
Operator(s): VE9AA
Station: VE9AA

Class: SO12CW HP
QTH: nb
Operating Time (hrs): 8:56

   80:   17       9
   40:  142      32
   20:  186      32
   15:   25       8
   10:    0       0
Total:  370      81       0        0  Total Score = 166,293

Club: Maritime Contest Club

Comments:

Had only intended to get on and make my 100 Q's and 20 mults for the special
RSGB Centenary CErtificate, but once I reached 100+/20+ (leaving some slush
room) the pace seemed to pick up a little and I was hooked.

Condx up here were dismal at the start. 10 &amp; 15 were essentially dead
(well...I made 2 big Q's on 15m in the 2nd hour, as I started late) and signals
on 20m were 409-519...even the big guns in EU weren't hearing me.  Thankfully I
made a few surprise LP QSO's into Oceana and Asia with my low wires, so I was
rightfully chuffed !

I took a long break and came back before midnight and 40m was in good shape,
however static crashes were taking out 1 character and sometimes two. Ugh.
Signals were good though, so I stuck it out for a bit.  Sounded like a EU FD
contest with only a smattering of NA/Carib/SA signals heard.

80m the crashes were really bad, so I hunt and pounced what I could and went to
bed around 1am or so.

In the morning 10m was still dead and 15m yielded one QSO with a s59 who had
great ears.(S59AA-nice call !)

Grabbed a few new mults on 20m and the test was over.

Most memorable QSO was with Dave KH2/N2NL....I heard him calling stns on the
bottom of 20m, moved up a few kcs and called CQ and BAMMO....he was in here
very nicely over the S.Pole.  Good ears Dave that you heard my weak wimpy
wires.  Appreciate the call.

  Also on day one on 15m very very early I worked FO5RH which I can only assume
was also LP.  It surely must have been extremely early if not still in darkness
in FO and the QSO surprised the heck out of me.

Called CQ to no end on 10m SW-S-SE and not a single LU or PY...in fact only
worked a couple on any band all weekend.

I am not very familiar with this contest, so am not one to make assumptions,
but it sure seemed like most of the activity was in EU and very little
elsewhere, save the USA.

Thanks a lot !

MIke VE9AA dit dit
IC-7410, 749.5 watts, and wimpy wires.