[3830] NAQP CW NX5M M/2 LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW NX5M M/2 LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 04 Aug 2013 06:39:34 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, CW - August

Call: NX5M
Operator(s): NX5M KU5B N5XJ N5DUW
Station: NX5M

Class: M/2 LP
QTH: TX
Operating Time (hrs): 12

  160:   48    23
   80:  128    45
   40:  477    57
   20:  640    64
   15:  274    52
   10:   52    14
-------------------
Total: 1619   255  Total Score = 412,845

Club:

Team:

Comments:

Station was not ready for action.  Several repairs were required.  Did not get
them all done but good enough to operate.
An intermittent problem was occuring on 15m where signals would drop out
suddenly.  Went out and did a clean-up on the master relay but that was not the
problem.  Replaced the bandpass filter and the problem went away.  Instead,
perhaps it is just a connector on the jumper that would normally be between the
bandpass filter and the amplifier input.  In this case the jumper was removed
from the amp input and connected directly to the stub set.  This will require
more investigation.  Not sure if this was happening the first hour or two or
not but I know we lost some qsos because of it.  Those who called and we just
could not hear you.....this is the reason why.  Everything worked perfectly
after the filter was replaced eventhough I do not belive it is a filter issue.
Spent the morning doing other repairs.  The high NW 20 was showing an elevated
SWR.  Not too bad (2:1) but it still worked.  Went up the tower and determined
what the problem was and did a temporary fix.  Next, the 160 vertical we were
going to use was showing infinite SWR.  Never did find the problem so due to
time restraints we decided to just connect the big vertical.
Also had to go up and realign one of the 40m yagis.  A storm the day after NAQP
RTTY had winds high enough to break a support arm to keep it fixed to the NE.  I
did not want to leave it pointed N so this was just another one of those mad
rush tasks that needed to be taken care of.
So there are still a number of things to fix before NAQP SSB so I will have to
find a way to handle the 100+ temperatures and get it done.
This was the first time that we actually got serious about doing M/2 for NAQP
CW.  It has always been operator issues but at least this time we managed to
get a little help.  Thanks to N5DUW for finding the time in his busy schedule
to make the 2 hour drive to help us out.  Also thanks to N5XJ for staying awake
after having to get up at 3am, or earlier, to go to work.  Mike arrived about
2030z.  Really nice to have a couple of guys to sit down and take control so
that KU5B and myself did not have to sit with headphones on for extended
periods of time.
See you all in two weeks!