[3830] WAE CW NN3W(@N3HBX) Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, richnn3w@verizon.net
Subject: [3830] WAE CW NN3W(@N3HBX) Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2013 16:22:11 +0000
                    WAE DX Contest, CW

Call: NN3W
Operator(s): NN3W
Station: N3HBX

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: MD
Operating Time (hrs): 27
Radios: SO2R

   80:   33    10    15
   40:  345   430    40
   20:  612   626    51
   15:  609   569    43
   10:   53     0    14
-------------------------
Total: 1652  1635   396  Total Score = 1,301,652

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Thanks to John Evans N3HBX for letting me use the Poolesville station for this
event.

Part time effort as I had a birthday party to attend on Saturday.  This was my
first time in the driver's seat for a major CW test in about 6 months so I felt
very, very out of practice at first.

I hear 80 and 40 were decent on Friday night; I thought 40 was decent and 80
was HORRENDOUS on Saturday night.

Because I missed a lot of time early, I basically had to op straight through
the night - something I've not done in WAE before.  In previous years, 20 was
basically dead from about 0200z on.  This year, there was always something to
work on the band - just not the density.  Id rather have 20 meters at 1300z,
but really only got one shot at it.

I listened around on 15 meters the prior Tuesday and was surprised to hear EU
stations on at 1800z.  15 sure stayed open later than I am used to - a nice
change.

Quite an impressive e-skip opening around 1345z into central Europe on 10
meters.  Worked a flurry of EUs in about a 30 minute window that netted 13
countries and 50+ QSOs.  Around 1830z, RL3A and UA2FL were spotted on 10.  I
figured it was skew path and direct path for the Russians into South America.
Couldn't hear UA2FL but did hear RL3A about S3.  Took a good 5 to 7 minutes of
off and on calling with multiple beam headings and multiple variations on the
stack and the 7 element at 195' before he heard me.

Wish I had that extra 9 hours to operate...Score might have broken past 2,000
QSOs.  Oh well.

See you in the next one.